EZ Pass placement for those who don't have front license plates (PA)

This is a discussion on EZ Pass placement for those who don't have front license plates (PA) within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I drove the turnpike a few times like a scoff law. I thought I was special and that my ez pass would work. Well it ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

EZ Pass placement for those who don't have front license plates (PA)

I drove the turnpike a few times like a scoff law. I thought I was special and that my ez pass would work. Well it didn't. Can't wait to sort that bill out. I was using the white square one. It didn't work on the windshield or in my hand out the window. What to do. I took the advice of others and ordered the front license plate mount ez pass. Now in pa we don't need front license plates and I sure didn't want to pop two holes in the front of the car. So where could I put it so that it was out of sight and useable. I tried strapping it under the hood directly behind the silver grill, but that didn't work(yes another failure to pay letter coming my way) I then tried the section below the silver grill. Worked like a charm.

So if you need an ez pass on your car and you don't want to pop holes in the front bumper, follow these directions.

1/ pop the hood.
    2/ pop out the four screws holding the grill in to the frame of the car. They look like screws but they actually slide out.
    3/ gently bring the grill out enough so that you can slide the lic plate mount ez pass down between the grill and radiator.
    4/ I used picture hanging wire to secure the ez pass to the grill area. You can see two silver dots in the below picture. I plan on switching them to black plastic ties when I can go buy some.
    5/. Resecure the grill to the frame and close the hood.

Hope this helps any PA ez pass users.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344554644.897450.jpg
Views: 8385
Size:  141.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I did something similar but mounted it directly under the grill but on top of the bumper. The bumper cover plastic bolts are of the exact perfect distance (e.g. no drilling of new holes required) to align with the EZ Pass' bolt holes. I replaced the plactic factory hold down bolts with actual black annodized bolts, lock washers and nuts. Fits perfert, you can't see it even in the daytime because everything is recessed under the grille, black and blends in with the black radiator and support components.

I intentionally turned the flash of the camera on in this photo to show the EZ Pass better:

Name:  EZ Pass on Evoque.JPG
Views: 6113
Size:  822.6 KB

Here it is with the camera flash off - presto, it disappears from sight:
    Name:  EZ Pass on Evoque without flash.JPG
Views: 5237
Size:  594.4 KB

BTW, even though I do have a front license plate (as you can see from the photo) I had this external EZ Pass mounted on the plate of my last car and didn't really like the look. Not to mention if someone bumps into it in a parking lot you're on the hook to get it replaced for about $50 and it's also less likely to be stolen because it can't be seen and is very hard to get to without grille removal.
    Last edited by EvoGoon; 08-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Member #
    Nice, didn't know about the bolt holes. Will need to check them out. Thx

cjp
    Member #
    thanks

Member #

EZ Pass Holders

I have also used EZ Pass Holder and never found such problem. It helps me a lot during mine travel but if still there is any problem and you want to know more about EZ Pass holder then you can visit Get Premium EZ Pass Tag Holders For Your Cars

Member #
    Just got our Evoque and quickly discovered that the windshield transponder doesn't work. Saw your post and ordered a license plate one. From your picture I see that the front is facing up. I surmise that the transponder works fine even in this orientation?

Member #
    Question for other 2013 owners. What is the section of windshield at the very top, just to drivers side of mirror? This section does not seem to have the same film type material as the rest of the windshield. I mounted my easy pass up there and so far no tickets from ez pass yet. Maybe I got lucky or the tickets are still on their way to me??? Anyone else notice this on the windshield and have any insight to why this is???

Member #
    Put it on the inside of your glass sun roof. I'm curious what kind of a mess of a bill I'm going to get as well. Went through about 5 toll booths with my cranium firmly up my rectum!!

EZ Pass?
    Last edited by Skywagon; 06-26-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Member #

Thanks EvoGoon - perfect setup and it works like a charm. This should be the default

Quote Originally Posted by EvoGoon View Post
    I did something similar but mounted it directly under the grill but on top of the bumper. The bumper cover plastic bolts are of the exact perfect distance (e.g. no drilling of new holes required) to align with the EZ Pass' bolt holes. I replaced the plactic factory hold down bolts with actual black annodized bolts, lock washers and nuts. Fits perfert, you can't see it even in the daytime because everything is recessed under the grille, black and blends in with the black radiator and support components.I intentionally turned the flash of the camera on in this photo to show the EZ Pass better:Attachment 441Here it is with the camera flash off - presto, it disappears from sight:Attachment 445BTW, even though I do have a front license plate (as you can see from the photo) I had this external EZ Pass mounted on the plate of my last car and didn't really like the look. Not to mention if someone bumps into it in a parking lot you're on the hook to get it replaced for about $50 and it's also less likely to be stolen because it can't be seen and is very hard to get to without grille removal.
    Thanks EvoGoon - perfect setup and it works like a charm. This should be the default

Member #
    The clear section to the left of the mirror is where they tell you to mount the transponder. Unfortunately, it doesn't work all the time. Some ez pass lanes do not read it and I've had to call to have them remove the extra charges. I am waiting for my front license plate transponder.

Ads