usb drive

usb drive

This is a discussion on usb drive within the Evoque Accessories forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; anyone know whast the largest USB drive the Evoque will read. I am looking to get a 128 gig usb flash drive but wasnt sure ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: usb drive

Member #

usb drive

anyone know whast the largest USB drive the Evoque will read.

I am looking to get a 128 gig usb flash drive but wasnt sure if the truck would read it since that large of a drive is not common.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I'm using a 256GB SSD without any issues at all... Some people have noted issues with the vehicle taking a long time to index songs on larger drives (I don't know if that is just MY12's or if MY13's are the same). I'm using mine for movies, so I don't have too many files compared to what audio would be.

Member #
    i bought a 128gb datastick and loaded it with mp3 files and the radio doesnt not even see the stick when i plug it in switch the radio to the USB drive.

any help?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I beleive on one of the other forums someone started a thread listing drives that work and those that do not. However, have you tried re-formatting the drive? Not sure if you can use the radio to format, which would be ideal. And, hav you tried switching on the radio, give it a bit to get into its "search" mode, and then plug in the USB?

Member #
    A USB drive is a storage device that is connected to a USB port on a computer. USB means "universal serial bus" and is a type of serial port that can allow for devices to be added or removed without first powering off the PC.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    A USB drive is a storage device that is connected to a USB port on a computer. USB means "universal serial bus" and is a type of serial port that can allow for devices to be added or removed without first powering off the PC.
    Yeah, we know that... however, sometimes their behavior can be a little unpredictable. Before you use it in any type of computer it needs to be formatted correctly, which I assume would be a FAT file in this case. But the real issue is that, though the drive can contain files, the file format has to be one that can be read by the device (in this case, a car music system) and FAT 32 is usually the easiest system. The BEST way to format a usb drive is with (in) the device you will be using it on. But I doubt it can be done in a car system. Format it fresh at FAT 32 (which both Windows and Mac can read), put a FEW files on it and see what happens. If you are on a Mac, try the native format. If it still does not work, there may be a compatibility issue with the drive.

The Other issue is that -- despite what the formal definiition says -- often times it is best to plug the usb device into the drive AFTER the drive is powered up. I noticed when I first tried to attach my iPod Nano (though the Ipod usb is a different interface) it couldn't find it until I waited for the system to "search" for an iPod connection. Once I powered up, waited, and thern plugged it in it found it -- created a file record on the HD drive, and was not an issue after that.

Member #
    It does indees need to be formated as FAT... *edited* NTFS *edited* is a no-go which means that (like most Infotainment systems) it is running a Linux Kernel. I also have a 128GB USB Flash Drive connected to the port in my glovebox. I've never removed it since day 1, and it only takes a few seconds to initialize on startup (which is much more convenient than unpluggin/plugging in an iPod). You "might" also have an additional delay that is being caused by the iPod itself being powered on as it would not being initialized as a mass storage device... I wouldn't know if that's the case as I refuse to use Apple's stuff
    Last edited by same2you; 03-15-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Member #
    yah I JUST was told about the format think by my litttle brother who, unlike myself, is a computer dude. I am just thinking buy it,load it, and plug it in! Thought that was the secret to all life's pleasures!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by same2you View Post
    It does indees need to be formated as FAT... FAT32 is a no-go which means that (like most Infotainment systems) it is running a Linux Kernel. I also have a 128GB USB Flash Drive connected to the port in my glovebox. I've never removed it since day 1, and it only takes a few seconds to initialize on startup (which is much more convenient than unpluggin/plugging in an iPod). You "might" also have an additional delay that is being caused by the iPod itself being powered on as it would not being initialized as a mass storage device... I wouldn't know if that's the case as I refuse to use Apple's stuff

which FAT format are ou suing for your drive

Member #
    Hi Spider, I should have proof-read my post first... I meant to say that NTFS is a no-go... You will need to format the drive as FAT (FAT32 to be specific). You will find that the GUI in windows will not let you format a big drive as FAT32 even though it supports partitions up to 8TB (the option is not even in the dropdown list). You will need for format via commandline (if you search, you will find instructions on many sites on how to use the commandline to format a partition with the /FS switch to specify FAT32). One other piece to note is that the FAT32 file system only supports files that are 4GB or less; a couple of my kids movies were 5GB, so I had to trim them down to be able to copy them over to the drive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads