After market roof rack experience?

This is a discussion on After market roof rack experience? within the Evoque Accessories forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Rather than purchase the factory roof rack components, I am considering purchasing an after market solution that I can take on and off when needed. ...

Member #

Rather than purchase the factory roof rack components, I am considering purchasing an after market solution that I can take on and off when needed. (such as Thule, JDM, Yakima, etc.)

Has anyone used one on their Evoque? If so, what are your thoughts? Do they work well? Do they cause any damage to the paint finish where and how they mount?

Thanks in advance!
    Dan

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I used to sell and install both Yakima and Thule, and being a new Evoque owner myself, have been looking into my options. So far, neither make the parts to mount a roof rack to the Evoque, so we are out of luck for now. I am also looking into a hitch receiver, to tow and carry bicycles. It seems that some require cutting the rear fascia, which I do not want to do. Not that I go off roading, but wouldn't a receiver cut down on the departure angle considerably? No hurry now, just enjoying driving a nice vehicle. When ski season comes around, I will start to get serious about racks and stuff.

Member #
    Sorry about info. Thule does make an aftermarket set up for Evoque. You can get both square and aero bars. I've seen them installed, looks Ok. Yakima still doesn't have an application as of yet. Cheers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks for the update! I appreciate the follow up!

Member #
    As far as I can tell, the OEM version that I bought is actually Thule rebranded. The bike carrier system is definitely Thule, again rebranded (and repriced of course!).

Member #
    I recently picked up the Thule Sprint T Track 569 with Aeroblade load bars. The Fit Guide on the website will walk you through all the required components (I think it was Rapid Traverse Pack 580R and Kit 1663). So far the rack and bikes feel very secure, so I'm happy!

Name:  Camping 2014.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  15.8 KB

Member #
    Name:  IMG_1955.JPG
Views: 3091
Size:  77.1 KB
    Voyagerracks.com

Member #
    That's a nice looking rack. I've had my Evoque for Three years now, and I went ahead and purchased a Thule Aero Bar system. I prefer to keep it off the car unless I am using it along with my Thule Box, usually for skiing. In order to install and remove it quickly, without having to measure the locations, I applied four small stickers to the inside of the door casings, to locate where the racks should go. This saves a lot of time, and you cannot notice them when the door is shut. After many many trips up to Whistler in all sorts of weather, I've had no problems with leaks. It usually takes no more than five minutes to install my bars and box. Thule does a very good job of ensuring the paint doesn't get scratched.

Ads