Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit - Page 2

Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit

This is a discussion on Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit within the Evoque Accessories forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; @dogscout and infinus, did you buy fro. The same ebay seller caticaauto? I have apano roof and your install ohotos are great. Just wanted to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit

Member #
    @dogscout and infinus, did you buy fro. The same ebay seller caticaauto? I have apano roof and your install ohotos are great. Just wanted to get an idea the quality of the item and service experience.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I bought mine from the local dealer. His price was as good or better than eBay after the discount coupon they gave me for accessories,Ask your dealer for a price and you may be surprised that they are competetive.

Member #
    I bought the rails and cross bars from Caticautomotive on E-Bay as well as the Thule Box. All parts are black. The rails and cross bars were of good enough quality but the rails were difficult to install. First, they sent the wrong sized bolts for the studs in the roof. A visit to the hardware store was required. The instructions had us install parts then had us remove them for no apparent reason. We worked through that. Plastic parts had rubber gaskets that were separating Fromm the plastic. Crazy glue saved that. Finally the vertical plastic trim was very difficult to install, probably due to the crazy glue repair of gaskets. Finally we panicked when we thought the cross rails were too shot...they're adjustable. In all it took about 3 to 3.5 hours to install everything. Total cost about $1100 compared to my dealers quote of $2100. The box is a 1500 series Thule, 66 inches long. Fortunately the Thule clamps are universal, two good sized claws that come together with an internal knob inside the box. The height of the package is about 7 feet tall. I can bareley get it into my garage because my drive has a slight slope on it. I think I'll use a strap around the unit and cross bars, longitudinally, for high speed travel. All in all I guess it was worth it to save a $1000. Two cliche's fit.....you get what you pay for and.....nothing is easy, at least for me.

Last edited by Skywagon; 06-28-2013 at 12:12 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    you get what you pay for thats for sure...I'm still fiddling around with the side protection tubes I bought off ebay. I have installed but like you it wasn't easy. they came with missing parts and I only realised this after I removed some parts from the car. I had to put it back together until the right part came and broke a few nutserts because I didn;t have the right tool. I eventually made it work but it took a while. The finish product looks good but had to look up youtube videos a few times-how to vids by powerfuluk are great. Let's see how I go with the roof rail install.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
    Just curious how much the EBAY parts are. I'm still selling the OEM parts that do come with a 12 month parts warranty from Land Rover.

PM me here or email me directly at [email protected] and I'll see if I can beat the EBAY price for the OEM parts.
    do you sell black roof rails and roof racks for 5 door Pure models? if so, how much including shipping to Sydney Australia? I can get them off ebay for 430 -510 with shipping.

Member #
    I think there are a few people in China enjoying a good laugh!?

Member #

Caticautomotive roof rails

I'm very sad to report I was unable to fit the trim pieces on my roof rails from the reputable eBay seller. Hoping to grab a refund and return shipping. It's a $50000 vehicle. I should have gone back to the dealer in the first place. I spent 3 hrs trying to get one rail on. I'm no ding dong, and thus my short comings show at the hand of trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

Member #
    I had mine installed by the dealer. They charged me 1 hour labor and gave me 25% off parts.

Well worth it.

Member #
    I have the exact same problem. Bought the rails and all the pieces. "Dry fitting" the parts and all seemed to be good. Then I tried to bolt everything up. With the roof trim in place the front mounts were fine but the rears, with the roof trim on place would just not line up. Trimming plastic off the underside of the trim - that just cannot be right - allowed the rails to fit but the rear trim pieces bind and will not fit in place. what have I done?

Member #
    I used washers underneath the brackets to fit the rack. It's been a couple months, I don't recall where or how many but it helped line everything up.

I was also worried about the trim pieces being crappy and cheap, but they have worked fine. I even emailed the seller to send a second set just in case.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads