Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit - Page 3

Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit

This is a discussion on Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit within the Evoque Accessories forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Did you receive the second set of trim pieces? If you did and you still have them and they are for the panoramic roof version, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with How To Install - Roof Rails & Trim Kit

Member #
    Did you receive the second set of trim pieces? If you did and you still have them and they are for the panoramic roof version, I would buy them from you as I am going to take mine apart again and refit. It cannot be necessary to modify the undersides of the trim pieces

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Hi , i bought a car with rails on it but i need to remove them. The problem , i dont have the caps so if i remove it there will be a blank at each end. Is there anywhere i can buy the caps (

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BegumKaan View Post
    Hi , i bought a car with rails on it but i need to remove them. The problem , i dont have the caps so if i remove it there will be a blank at each end. Is there anywhere i can buy the caps (
    If you go here:2013 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories
    I think you will see the parts you need. This is a link to a Land Rover dealer that does a lot of Internet sales. I have dealt with them, and they have pretty good prices.
    If nothing else, you will have the part numbers you need.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I just purchase a 2015 Evoque, and with considerable help from reading the posts here on this forum, purchased the black rail set from Catic. The install took about an hour, but reading the posts, and more importantly, look at the posted photos, made it not only easier, but possible. One reason, the Catic folks do not include ANY instructions, so you are entirely on your own (except for these forum posts). I went with the Catic parts, since I just spent $50k, and the dealer wanted about $1500 for the parts and install, and I was just too weary of spending the money. So, $420 on eBay, and I got the parts from Catic in about a week (from China to Seattle, that seems fast to me).
    So, no instructions, some very cheap plastic finishing parts, but I think that I am, overall, pleased with the result. Since the plastic finishing parts are tough to fit just right, I filled in a little with shiny black silicone sealant; a kluge that I am embarrassed to admit, but it works.
    If I had to do this over again, I would, but with the following difference: I would take a dremel to the original caps, since the original caps are of a much higher quality than the Catic. @Rsquared gave a link to get replacements, and it would be worth the ~$100
    Thank you all for posting very helpful information. As I get better acquainted with my Evoque and this forum, I hope to contribute useful information as well.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    jpatrickmoore,

Welcome to the forum!

It's nice to see you were able to get useful information from the forum to help with your install.
    We look forward to hearing from you in the future.
    shaun.hillis likes this.

Member #
    Hi All, First, thank you all of you sharing your experiences with mounting Roof Rail.

I just wanted to give back and share with you my experience with the AfterMarket Roof Rails. I bought mine from firstouch4x4-au on eBay. This is the same seller as caticaauto. The communication with the seller was good. My rails are piano black and I got them for $200. Pretty good price and the quality of the rails seems very good, however all other parts lacked the same quality. My kit was also missing the F & G guides listed in the manual that I received. Turns out they are not necessary if you insert the roof mounts into the cover plates and mount them together. Incidentally the manual i received was the Range Rover manual. It took me over 2hrs to fit the rails. Everything was going quite well until it came time to attach the rail to the brackets. I needed to add a washer on the second - front side roof bolt to raise the mounting brackets enough for the rail holes to line up enough so I could screw them down.

Next were the plastic covers. The rear covers went in without much of a problem and cover the mount quite well. However the front plastic covers are loose and do not cover much of the mount on the inside of the rail. Does not look good but you have to look to notice. Since the front covers were a bit loose, I used some outdoor quality double sided tape to mount them in place. The seller promised to send replacement but I doubt they will be any better. Here are a few pictures of the rails and the gap, the front plastic cap leaves.

Name:  IMG_9512.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  1.29 MBName:  IMG_9514.JPG
Views: 1590
Size:  1.82 MBName:  IMG_9515.JPG
Views: 1337
Size:  2.07 MB

All in all, for the money I think its a good deal. OEM Rails are about $1000 plus mounting.

STZ
    Member #

Do not diy

DO NOT attempt to install the latest roof rails on 2017 model.

I noticed most of the installation notes here are a couple of years old. Land Rover may have started out-sourcing the manufacturing of the rails or there might be some other explanation, but first the holes don't line up. If you loosen the nuts that attach to the bolts from the roof to four metal pieces and shift things around to line up the holes for the rails to get bolted in, then you have no access to tighten the nuts to the roof. Second, if with persistence and nice tools you somehow put the rails in, as I finally did, the plastic covers that finish the job will not go in. If you break anything especially the plastic covers, I doubt you can buy them since they all came as part of the $1000 roof rail package.

This comes from a licensed structural engineer with decades of experience in designing and building all kinds of structures from high-rise buildings to oddball delicate art installations. And as a hobby, I build model aircraft and helicopters. I though there is no way I would pay for an installation involving eight M6 bolts. Boy was I wrong... for the life of me, I could not get this job done. After consulting with technicians from two dealerships, it turned out it is not me but the new rails on newer cars are a nightmare for them too! They all had issues with tolerances while two people pushed and pulled to get the rails in, and they had to shave off the plastic pieces underneath to fit the plastic pieces above to finish everything. That's what I ended up having them do and happily paid them for it.

Do yourself a favor and pay the people who have done it several times recently for their pain and suffering. Seriously.

On a side note, I'm not sure if the aftermarket ones have the wholes on the inside of the rail to accept the crossbars. The cross bars are nice, fit perfectly (given the wholes on the rail) and they accept any type of attachment from racks and boxes to ski and bike carrier from any brand from LR to Yakima or Thule.

Good luck.
    Last edited by STZ; 12-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
    morey000 likes this.

Member #
    I recently purchased silver roof rails and silver roof trim finisher kit from LRDirect (www.LRDirect.com). Total price (including shipping + duty) was less than the price quoted for the rails alone from my local dealer.

Member #
    Just got a set of $199 Gloss black rails from ebay (California). The rail and bracket quality appears solid. the trim covers a bit thin, but probably adequate. Bitch of a time getting the front of the rail's hole to line up with the bracket (requires a heavy guy). Problem is- I don't have a pano roof on my '16 SE Premium, so I'll need to cut and re-fit the long thin trim covers that go under the mid-section of the rack. Guess I was expecting gloss black covers to come with the kit... they don't. So, a warning to anyone without a Pano roof- you will have this issue. They snap right in, but just need a way to cut them smoothly. May take it to my local body-shop guy to have it look right.

Member #
    Do you have the part number and where you bought the rails? Also, do you have the panoramic glass roof or the sun roof? (Fixed glass or moving one)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads