Installed Curt Hitch #13128 on Evoque, only by overcoming major design flaw in hitch

Installed Curt Hitch #13128 on Evoque, only by overcoming major design flaw in hitch

This is a discussion on Installed Curt Hitch #13128 on Evoque, only by overcoming major design flaw in hitch within the Evoque Accessories forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; NOTE: As a result of this experience, Curt has redesigned and tested the hitch for Evoque. Redesigned model number is Curt #13141. It will be ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

NOTE: As a result of this experience, Curt has redesigned and tested the hitch for Evoque. Redesigned model number is Curt #13141. It will be in production soon according to a representative from Curt on 11/27/2012.

After a lot of trouble and persistence, I had a Curt Hitch made for Evoque installed yesterday. I do believe Curt's design is off in the hole placement by about 1.5 inches, which then required modification of the hitch. I hired a professional installer who has installed over 500+ hitches in his lifetime. Note the Curt instructions say "30 minute installation" and "intermediate level of difficulty." Due to the dimensions of the hitch holes not matching the holes of the Evoque, installation ended up being 5.5 hours and quite difficult to modify the hitch to fit. The installer was paid by the hour, so it became an expensive hitch very quickly.

I ordered the Curt Hitch #13128 from AutoAnything.com for $132 and it arrived within 24 hours with regular free shipping. Quite amazing.

Here's the before picture.

Name:  IMG_4146.JPG
Views: 3278
Size:  1.81 MB

First major step was to lower the exhaust, which requires a removal of a screw and two rings. This took about 20 minutes and some careful force.

Name:  IMG_4147.JPG
Views: 2858
Size:  1.66 MB

Then he removed the heat shield on the inside (easy removal of 8 screws) and trim the center and both ends with a tin snipper (no photo). Then the bumper needs to be cut. Marked the cut lines with masking tape shown in photo below.

Name:  IMG_4149.JPG
Views: 2455
Size:  1.40 MB

He cut the bumper with a small saw. The directions say to cut 3.5" wide. We found the opening needed to be closer to 3.75" and is not quite centered, which is one of two reasons why I think Curt's design dimensions are not correct.

Name:  IMG_4153.JPG
Views: 2284
Size:  879.6 KB

Here is where the big trouble started. He wiggled the hitch in under the bumper and loosely attached a screw on the passenger side. Then when he scooted over to the driver's side, neither hole lined up. It was off by an entire 1.5 inches, as you can see from the photo where you can barely see the hole through the opening in the hitch.

Name:  IMG_4154.JPG
Views: 2077
Size:  1.68 MB

After about an hour and a half of trying to wiggle and pry each side, taking it off and putting screws back in a different sequence, he could not get it to line up. I called AutoAnything customer service who agreed to return this hitch and ship me out a new one. Kudos to their customer service.

I received the second Curt hitch #13128 and will try again. Same result. The holes do not line up, and there is no way to get the bolts in on one side. The second hitch from Curt was off by about 1.25", enough to cause major problems.

Name:  IMG_4199.JPG
Views: 2278
Size:  1.48 MB

I also tried to capture that the center of the hitch is not quite center with the bumper. It is 0.5" over toward the driver's side and off center. Thus, when we cut the hole in Step 2 in the center of the bumper, the second hitch does not line up either.

Name:  IMG_4158.JPG
Views: 2162
Size:  1.46 MB

So the installer bent and drilled new holes in the hitch, incurring another 1.5 hours in labor cost for me for this step. And that worked!

Hitch looks great and is solid. Photo shown with Curt metal hitch cover in black and Thule locking hitch pin. I'm going to contact Curt customer service today to let them know their hitch design is off and see if they will do anything about my high labor costs to overcome their incorrect design.

Name:  IMG_4204.JPG
Views: 2129
Size:  1.32 MB
    Last edited by Silverman; 11-27-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: provide update on redesigned hitch model number
    2013 Range Rover Evoque Prestige

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    lesson: cheaper isnt necessarily better

Member #
    I had the same problem with the Curt hitch and couldn't get it to fit. Had to drop some coin on the Land Rover hitch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I contacted Curt customer service about the hitch for the Evoque last Friday. I had multiple interactions with customer service, tech support, and a quality control engineer sending them descriptions, measurements, photos, my VIN number, and answering their questions. They sent me their detail spec sheet for the hitch, which was off by 0.5" and 1.0" for hole placement by my measurements in the original hitch I purchased.

The quality control engineer told me they have sold 50 of these hitches and this is the first complaint reported that the holes on one side did not line up.

She has escalated to the design team, and my case is under review.
    Last edited by Silverman; 11-13-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Member #
    Good luck, I hope they compensate you. BTW what is it you are going to tow? I was going to get the LR hitch but decided for the amount of times I wanted to bring my motorcycle on a trip, just wasn't enough. May change my mind but probably not since I don't have a trailer.

Member #
    I am just going to tow bikes and boats. According to Curt specs, you would have no problem towing a motorcycle.The Curt hitch is heavy and chunky, which looks good on the Evoque. I am eager to hear what their assessment is about hitches not matching spec. Not sure how long that will take.

Member #
    UPDATE. Curt took my complaint about the hitch design very seriously and investigated, keeping me up to date on their progress. They tested it on a new Evoque in Detroit within a couple days, and they concluded the hole placement had changed. (Keep in mind, Range Rover does not share their specifications with the third party manufacturers; so it's up to companies like Curt to stay current and respond to changes in auto manufacturing design.)

All of the original Curt hitches made for Evoque (part number 13128) were placed on quality hold and returned to the Curt warehouse.

A redesigned hitch that has been tested on the new Evoque (part number 13141) is scheduled for production shortly, according to a representative from Curt earlier today.

I have full confidence in the Curt brand, customer service, and engineering that they made this right. Please post if you install one of these hitches so we can all know the issue is solved.

Member #
    Great news. Please keep us posted when you hear the new part is ready. I'll order one that day!

Member #
    Any word on if the new revised Curt hitch has been made?

Member #

12/26/2012 update on 13128

All,Spoke with a dealer today who called Curt. According to the dealer, Curt informed him that 13141 would not be released and that 13128 has been modified to fit the newer Evoques. He is ordering 13128 and plans to do the install next week. I'll update all when I get it installed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads