DIY: Adding Xenons to a Non Xenon equipped Evoque (first modification)

This is a discussion on DIY: Adding Xenons to a Non Xenon equipped Evoque (first modification) within the Evoque Accessories forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Much to my dismay Xenon headlights are/were not offered as part of the standard features on the Pure or Pure Plus versions of the Evoque. ...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: DIY: Adding Xenons to a Non Xenon equipped Evoque (first modification)

Member #

Much to my dismay Xenon headlights are/were not offered as part of the standard features on the Pure or Pure Plus versions of the Evoque. It is offered as part of a $4000 package which we weren’t looking for when we purchased the car. Let me not forget to say how irritated I was that the stock headlights didn’t even match the corner lights or the LED fog lights, but I digress.

So what’s a guy to do for his gal’s vehicle? Why a retrofit, that’s what! So I ordered the appropriate parts from www.theretrofitsource.com. Since the Evoque is equipped with 9005 halogen bulbs, I ordered the 9005 (Click here). I went with the Standalone Can-Bus harness to prevent the car from throwing a bulb out code from possibly not seeing the appropriate resistive values from the halogen bulb.

Order to delivery was 2 days I think, and the products were well packaged, kudos to the folks at www.theretrofitsource.com.

Here’s a picture of everything prior to install.

Stock headlight shots:

Stock Beam pattern shots:

Stock headlights with fogs: (I probably should have taken the shots at a flat wall, but you get the drift)

On to the actual work, this fairly straight forward as there is plenty of room in the headlight housings to contain everything. It was pretty much plug and play…remove the stock 9005 bulb, insert 9005 HID based bulb.

In plugging up the harness is where things get interesting, it seems that the bulb polarities on the Evoque are reversed from what they should be. Meaning the positive was the negative and vice-versa. How did I figure this out? So glad you asked, well I plugged everything up as it should have been and initially the first headlight lit up, but then went dead. So out came my trusty multimeter as the stock bulb was still working fine.

After that got sorted out, here’s the resulting clean install:

HID headlight beam shots:

Bulb warming up for the first time

As you can see the HIDs really do complete the lighting look on this car.
    Beam Pattern (still warming up):

With fogs:

Fully warmed:

Impressions:
    I love the kit from www.theretrofitsource.com, (this is the second kit I’ve ordered, the other is in my S4) The lighting is definitely improved over the stock halogens and for a fraction of the price. Feedback from my wife will be the tell tale sign. For full disclosure, I did not test high beams on the car…as it really just occurred to me, more to come on that!
    Last edited by CobraCommander; 01-07-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Fixing pictures :)
    jes2tngo likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    CobraCommander

Thanks for the DIY info, i have this on my to do list, also.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by whitepp View Post
    CobraCommander

Thanks for the DIY info, i have this on my to do list, also.
    No sweat...hope it helps, I'd actually like to do a fully projector retro, but I can't convince the wife yet for me to tear apart her brand new car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    CobraCommander - Can you please explain the process to manage the polarity issue you came across. I am going to take your lead and order the same but am not clear on what I will need to do to manage the issue. How long did the process take and would you mind taking a picture of how the wiring is managed behind the headlight assembly. Thx

Member #
    CobraCommander,

What did you do exactly to change the polarity issue? Did you need to remove the headlamp housings? What did you estimate your total work time. $140 seems like a bargain. I wish I had the fog lamps. There are some on ebay but not certain if they can be installed on an Evoque that was not originally equipped with fog lamps. I hear that the wiring harness is not there to be connected to.
    Currently own:

1986 Vixen 21TD Motorhome- 55k
    1979 Lancia Beta Coupe - 45k "complete restoration in process"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ondarza View Post
    CobraCommander - Can you please explain the process to manage the polarity issue you came across. I am going to take your lead and order the same but am not clear on what I will need to do to manage the issue. How long did the process take and would you mind taking a picture of how the wiring is managed behind the headlight assembly. Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
    CobraCommander,What did you do exactly to change the polarity issue? Did you need to remove the headlamp housings? What did you estimate your total work time. $140 seems like a bargain. I wish I had the fog lamps. There are some on ebay but not certain if they can be installed on an Evoque that was not originally equipped with fog lamps. I hear that the wiring harness is not there to be connected to.
    The polarity issue was an easy fix by simply turning the plug upside down. I did not remove the housings to do do any of this, I wanted to spend the least amount of time possible doing disassembly/assembly. The passenger side is extremely easy, I would recommend removing the windshield washer bolt (10mm) and swiveling the neck out if the way for easy access. As stated above, the drivers side required the removal of the airbox and its side snorkel. It also has 10mm bolts one in the middle of the snorkel and the other on the radiator support. This side took the longest simply because of the airbox. BTW, the airbox snaps in after the bolts have been removed. There are plastic snaps holding the MAF wires attached to the box that you should remove to have greater freedom to move the box around. I did not disconnect the MAF though.BTW, I would almost bet everything that your evoque is prewired for the fogs.

Member #
    Thanks for the additional installation detail. I will probably make this upgrade this spring as working outside in the winter ( unheated garage) is not fun. I may purchase the fog lamps in hopes that you are correct. If not, they will get resold.
    Currently own:

1986 Vixen 21TD Motorhome- 55k
    1979 Lancia Beta Coupe - 45k "complete restoration in process"

Member #
    I remember my 95 maxima being wired for fogs even though it didn't come with it, makes it easy for he manufacturer to only have one harness

Member #
    Can you let me know what color temp you chose along with the watts (35 or 55)?
    Thanks!

Member #
    I'm new to the forum so have a basic question related to headlamps. I'm currently shopping and do not want to pay for the full Premium package. Don't want or need Nav or Sat radio, etc. But, I would prefer the Xenon and LED signature lighting. The question - does the std halogen Pure Plus setup have any sort of 'signature' or daytime running lights? thx

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads