touch up paint

touch up paint

This is a discussion on touch up paint within the Evoque Detailing forums, part of the Land Rover Evoque Garage category; Hey guys. I got small nick in my door, so I used a touch up paint to cover it. However, it is not flush with ...

Thread: touch up paint

Member #

touch up paint

Hey guys. I got small nick in my door, so I used a touch up paint to cover it. However, it is not flush with the rest of the paint. How can I level/blend this with the rest of thecar? Do I wet sand it before applying clear? Or just wet sand and forget about clear coating the area? It's a very small part of the door, on the edge to be exact.

Thanks for any tips.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    About the only thing you can do is go to a good auto supply house, and ask for sand paper to "color sand clear coat". It should not be any coarser than 1500 grit. I had a small stone chip in the
    door of my Santorini Black Evoque coupe. I used Dr. Color Chip touch up paint. It worked pretty much as advertised. You put the paint on, smear it smooth, and then blend with their special sealant. The repair comes out smooth, so you can't see that it was touched up. No "blob" to have to sand, or see every time you look at your repair.

Member #
    Thanks!! I bought some rubbing compound, but it's hard to smoothen it out, and if I run my fingers through I can tell where it's been retouched. Just by looking not too obvious though. I used oem touch up from my dealer.

hey what did you mean by "color sand clear coat"?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bangsters View Post
    Thanks!! I bought some rubbing compound, but it's hard to smoothen it out, and if I run my fingers through I can tell where it's been retouched. Just by looking not too obvious though. I used oem touch up from my dealer.

hey what did you mean by "color sand clear coat"?
    With the new base coat - clear coat paints, you can "color sand" the clear coat to remove orange peel, and small scratches that don't go deep enough to get into the base coat.
    Or, in your case, smooth out your touch up. Color sanding is done with super fine wet sand paper, usually 1500 or even 2000 grit. It has to be done carefully, so
    as not to go through the clear coat into the base coat.

Below is a link to a short article describing the process. The article is a little bit over simplified, but will give you an idea of the basics.

How to Sand a Clear Coat Without Sanding the Paint | Home Guides | SF Gate
    Last edited by Rsquared; 10-31-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Member #
    I got a small ding in my door and used the "pen" applicators found here. Color was spot on. I carefully filled the ding with color then clear coat and you really have to know it's there to see it. Anything larger will be more difficult.

Automotive Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch - Order Pro Grade Paint

Member #
    Usually I just buy a langka touch up paint system from autogeek. To level it done you have to sand it using 1500 grit up to 3000 grit before polishing and sealing.

Ads