Ecoboost engine slammed by Consumer Reports, auto press

This is a discussion on Ecoboost engine slammed by Consumer Reports, auto press within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; There have been many threads posted about less-than-promised mpg economy with the Evoque. I saw this posted this morning and although it supports what we ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By same2you

Thread: Ecoboost engine slammed by Consumer Reports, auto press

Member #

There have been many threads posted about less-than-promised mpg economy with the Evoque. I saw this posted this morning and although it supports what we hear from other owners, it really doesn't make me feel any better about it. I don't think any of us will ever see 28 mpg (US) from our Evoques, at least not in real world driving conditions. Ford EcoBoost Engines Slammed In Consumer Reports wonder if this could be the stuff class action suits are made of? Any attorneys out there wish to comment? Hyundai recently got slammed for 'optimistic' mpg claims....

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    If this MPG is certified by the government, you will have to sue the government. In fact, though you do find people complaining, on some forums you also find people getting close to or at promised consumption. Put it in drive, never use the paddles, and never kick in the turbo. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Member #
    Thanks for that article. It's very sobering. There was discussion of RR making an Evoque 'S'. Seems like a good reason to trade-up.

The Ecoboost has been a tad underwhelming given the "restricted performance" debacle. Though I will say I am a fan of the small engine - large boost concept. I was an early adopter (first year) of the VW/Audi 1.8T engine, which was truly a fantastic engine. I chipped the thing up to 200HP and it had enough torque to smoke the stock tires from a standstill, even with Quattro. Current owner has 275,000 miles on that engine.

Ecoboost is not a bad premise. It's all in the implementation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    WARNING.... Stepping onto my Soapbox.... To be honest, I don't even look at my fuel economy... never had in previous cars, and I don't in this one either. I'm purchased my Evoque after my lease was up on my 2.0T Saab Convertible, and I had no delusions that the Evoque would consume more gas even though the Engine size was the same. I know that there are many Diesel fanboys/gals out there, but there is no way I would ever consider a noisy smelly diesel over petrol, and I have always had an issue with the idea of pulling around the 2 drivetrains that hybrid's have. I was considering the Tesla Model S since there is a dealer somewhat close to me, but I still have the paranoia that I will forget to charge the damn thing and be stranded for hours while the battery recovers. That put me back into a Petrol based car, and I liked the Evoque... so that is where my money is going. Flat out, if I wanted to save on gas, then I would have bought a smaller car that weighs much less than 4000lbs, or I would have purchased a plug-in that actually performs. I knew what I was getting into, just as someone that buys a 5.0L mustang should. When it comes to the actual numbers, I would not be shocked if I were to hit them by turning off all the goodies, and babying it on the road, and driving behind a transport truck to cut the wind for me on the highway. Anyways, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now... You mileage may vary
    scurvey likes this.

Member #
    2012 Fuji White Evoque Prestige- Tan/Ivory/Espresso Interior, Sport Pedals and Sport Style Foot Rest, Mud Flaps, Silver Rails, OEM Ski Rack and Bike Rack , Climate Package, Style 6 wheels with Hankook tires in summer, Style 5 wheels with Blizzak tires for the frozen Minnesota tundra in winter- Set for Adventure in Style!

Member #
    @scrannel: See this article. I agree in principle with you, but it appears that the auto companies are responsible for following the EPA guidelines and certifying the MPG claims for their vehicles. Hyundai & Kia "MPG Gate" Could Pay Out Millions to Car Owners. Totally agree that in order to actually achieve 28 MPG in the Evoque, put on cruise control @50, flat highway, no wind, no passengers, almost empty gas tank = No FUN at ALL. I just wanted to note that there seems to be some general dissatisfaction that the Ford ecoboost engine might be a little over-sold on efficiency. Imagine that.
    @malharden: We bought a VW beetle in 1998 with the 2.0 liter engine, the following year they came out with the turbo. My buddy bought one, had it chipped, and I got to drive it after he had it set up. What a blast!! Much lighter car than the Evoque, and he got about 30 mpg when he was not putting his foot through the floorboards every chance he had.
    @sametoyou: I could not agree more with you. We didn't buy these things for their gas mileage, or even for their off-road prowess (which I can guarantee is pretty darn good). If we drive across a grassy field now and then that is all the off-roading this thing will see. My wife's first comment when she saw the car was "It looks like my Mini Cooper on steroids!" Now mama drives the Evoque every day to work and is loving it. MPG doesn't really matter.

Member #
    Of course, I was being sarcastic. I drive in Sport mode, use the paddles, have a moderately heavy foot. And, I'm having fun. Also, Consumer Report is the last place I would look for info when I was about to go out to buy a car. When I was a kid I remember they panned the (then) new 911 Porsche for being noisy and having a small trunk. Yup. What a piece of crap that thing was.
    Last edited by scrannel; 02-06-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
    Of course, I was being sarcastic. I drive in Sport mode, use the paddles, have a moderately heavy foot.
    Much more fun to drive your way!

Ads