Considering an Evoque Dynamic or BMW X3 with M-Sport Package: Honest feedback

This is a discussion on Considering an Evoque Dynamic or BMW X3 with M-Sport Package: Honest feedback within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; OK, I drove both of these this past week and have been weighing the positive aspects of each vehicle (and negatives). The Evoque is hands-down, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

OK, I drove both of these this past week and have been weighing the positive aspects of each vehicle (and negatives). The Evoque is hands-down, the best looking of the two. Not even close in the looks department. The Evoque is also unique looking, turning heads every where it goes. The interior is stunning but the rear seat room and rear cargo area come up short by comparison. It actually has about the same amount of space as the Mercedes C-Class I'm trading in.

But as an ex-roadracer and current High Performance Driving Instructor, I was less impressed with it in the performance department. The transmission was of particular disappointment compared to the BMW's 8-speed transmission that is for lack of words... buttery smooth and incredibly exciting to drive. ALWAYS in a power band/gear! My biggest complaint with the Evoque was it's standing-start performance. The demo I drove seemed to hesitate and then surge and lurch forward. Perhaps due to what felt like a throttle-by-wire control lag?

For a car I would own for 6-10 years, I can't afford to take a chance that the one demo I drove had a problem, or if they all do that. That coupled with Service Dept. presence that pales in comparison to the mammoth BMW service presence leads me to question the hands I'll be reliant upon?

I love the looks and uniqueness of the Evoque, but had a hell of a lot more fun driving the X3 with M-Sport package. Any advice.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I guess some things:

1) Did the Evoque you drove have the optional MagneRide suspension? And if so, did you put through its paces w/o punching in the "stiffer" setting? Because, despite the optional setting, the suspension is at its best in "normal" mode.
    2) I have a Dynamic (w/MagneRide) and I have no hesitation off the line. It's a turbo motor, of course.
    3) If you're a performance driver, then you may never be satisfied with something that isn't at it's optimum in that respect. But, personally -- and I used to rally -- I will never have a car that doesn't have the Delphi magnetic suspension. One reason, honestly, is because I have a very bad back (motorcycle and bicycle accidents) and with the Mag suspension I can ride all day in total comfort and go whacko in the twisties when the spirit moves me.
    4) And... I refuse to drive a car that looks like a water beetle.

Member #
    I drove both. BMW is changing body style. Evoque although slower felt faster and was more fun to drive. Back seat is functional. But you have to go with what you feel

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Well, I would add that the salesman left it in the 'ruts' sports mode during my test drive. I noticed that when we got back to the dealer, so we did a second run around the block which seemed better. Could that have been the issue? I should add I was not tying to accelerate fast, but rather really trying to drive it smooth from a stop (not gunning it). I was really having o wok at not making it lurch.

The dealer here in Minneapolis has only a Pure for demo purposes, and won't let me drive the Dynamic on the showroom floor. It doesn't have the dynamic dampers though, and he added that they never order with that option. He also indicated that if I ordered with that option, that portion of my down payment would be non-refundable if I cancelled. Not that I ever indicated I was on the fence, but that seemed weird. And the dealer knows me as I race Lotus cars locally and they're a token sponsor.I plan to drive again with the wife Sat. I'll ensure it's in the correct mode this time.
    Last edited by MacLotus; 02-07-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Member #
    Hey Mac Lotus. Funny, when the C6 Corvette first came out I ran into exactly the same problem: dealer had none with Mag suspension in stock and would only order if I agreed to a non-refundable deposit. I actually had to fly to Northern California where there were plenty of Mag cars on show room floors. And, if this guy took you out in a car with the suspension set for one of the special off-road modes, well...

The Dynamic model with Mag suspension seems to include not only the fantastic suspension, but to quote my build break-down: "SPORT EDITION"; "FRONT SPRING LOAD CLASS-A"; "STEERING RACKS - UPRATED"; "REAR SPRING LOAD CLASS-G"; "STABILIZER BAR REAR - CLASS A". Now, I have run a VIN on other Dynamic cars (with and without mag suspension BTW) without finding these "extras". But I believe the "Sport Edition" includes a tighter rack that feels like its response varies in "S" mode. But I'm still investigating.

Because you are an enthusiast, and since you are considering the Evoque, you should go here https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...cle/lookupForm (you may have to register) and run the VIN of any car you might think of buying and it will tell you exactly how it's equipped.

My car feels like a nice, peppy, tight sports sedan.
    Last edited by scrannel; 02-08-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Member #
    Personally love that suspension option. Take a road trip to sunny AZ and test it or you can try mine

Member #
    I'm with you guys on the Dynamic Damper setup. Perfect for a CUV/SAV as the tend to have a much higher center of gravity than a sports car.

Of course on my track cars, I prefer to not have a computer between me and the pavement. I love the raw visceral feel of direct connection, not even power steering or power brakes... on the race course.

But my biggest concern was the transmission lurching. I see some other threads on the forum regarding that same issue. I've been told that throttle-by-wire controls can be adversely affected when its cold (like here in Minnesota). I just wanted to know if others experienced similar issues?

Here's a picture of the Lotus. I just finished putting a 300hp Honda engine with 6-speed trans and at 1600lbs... Very fast. Currently just finishing a widebody conversion for 10"F/12R wide slicks and going into paint next week. Fun weekend toy!

Member #
    Lotus is awesome! -- would fit in on the street here in So. Ca. Only thing to remember about the Magnetic suspension is that when the C6 Z51 was put up against a magnetic (F55) C6 -- with same tires and sway bars -- the mag car out lapped the Z51. Also, then Corvette was running tests they found (to no one's surprise) that the Magnetic car lapped fastest with the suspension set in "soft" mode. For obvious reasons.

Also, have read Evoque is calibrated to start in 2nd gear. You might try a test with it in first, using the paddles.
    Last edited by scrannel; 02-08-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Member #
    I'll try that to see if there is a difference when starting from a stop. As for the dynamic dampers, no doubt a better technology and faster around the track. It's just and old school thing of a raw sports car, like our Dad's use to do it.

Cheers,

Mac out!

Member #
    Good hunting man! And BTW, with the Magnetic suspension, setting it for kawa-bunga mode will give you that slot-car feel.
    Last edited by scrannel; 02-08-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads