driving in the snow

driving in the snow

This is a discussion on driving in the snow within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I am wondering how the Evoque handles in the snow? Anyone have some good feedback? My wife drives a 2012 five door with the 19" ...

Member #

driving in the snow

I am wondering how the Evoque handles in the snow? Anyone have some good feedback? My wife drives a 2012 five door with the 19" rims and all season tires. I am worried about the size and weight of the Evoque being able to handle the snow well. I am located in Illinois.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Others with direct experience will chime in, but I read something interesting on another forum: a customer (UK or Oz) was refused admittance to a Land Rover Experience course because the Dynamics (in that country's configuration) is considered too low to the ground. Now this was due to it (apparently) having a different front skid pan than the other models, but primarily because it came (in that country) stock with 20" wheels. The USA Dynamic comes stock with 19" wheels (giving it more clearance), but didn't know it was that tight.

Member #
    I think it does great. I currently use Blizzaks on 19" rims, but even before I switched from my summer rims and tires and got caught in a 10" snowfall in Northern Wisconsin, the Evoque seemed to have no trouble. Winter tires really help with stopping power, but that's the same with any car.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    2012 Fuji White Evoque Prestige- Tan/Ivory/Espresso Interior, Sport Pedals and Sport Style Foot Rest, Mud Flaps, Silver Rails, OEM Ski Rack and Bike Rack , Climate Package, Style 6 wheels with Hankook tires in summer, Style 5 wheels with Blizzak tires for the frozen Minnesota tundra in winter- Set for Adventure in Style!

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I live in Northern Ontario and I drive in snow 4-5 months of the year.
    I've had my Evoque for 2 months now with 19" rims and the all season tires, if you put it into snow mode, it handles fantastic.
    I've had no issues and I live on a country room that is always ice or snow packed.

Member #
    Thanks for the comments. About eight years ago my wife was driving a Jeep Liberty and was literally blown off the road by an oncoming semi. The roads were covered in snow and the light weight of the Liberty was no match. This was one of my concerns when she chose the Evoque. I guess the two vehicles are not comparable....

Member #
    Thanks for the comments. About eight years ago my wife was driving a Jeep Liberty and was literally blown off the road by an oncoming semi. The roads were covered in snow and the light weight of the Liberty was no match. This was one of my concerns when she chose the Evoque. I guess the two vehicles are not comparable....

Member #
    I have never felt like the relatively light weight transfers to problems with traction in this vehicle. It has none of the "top heavy" feel of the other LR's, and it does not catch the wind like the Liberty. In contrast, it feels low to the ground in the cabin, and you really have a sedan-like feel of the road. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I feel safer and more in tune with the road than I even did with my last vehicle, an Acura TL. That's saying a lot- I loved that car!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    2012 Fuji White Evoque Prestige- Tan/Ivory/Espresso Interior, Sport Pedals and Sport Style Foot Rest, Mud Flaps, Silver Rails, OEM Ski Rack and Bike Rack , Climate Package, Style 6 wheels with Hankook tires in summer, Style 5 wheels with Blizzak tires for the frozen Minnesota tundra in winter- Set for Adventure in Style!

Member #
    Just had my first experience with Evoque in snow / ice. We are at 7000 ft in Santa Fe, NM and we get dry snow and ice. Not a lot but plenty to skid on. Going downhill I switched to snow mode and used HDC and it was awesome. No problems going up either. Using stock all season tires. Car is less than a month old. Prior to the Evoque I would ski down that hill in a fwd car. Lovin it.

Member #
    For what it's worth, was stuck in the snow west of DC yesterday. About eight inches of heavy wet snow had fallen and continued to come down at about two inches an hour. Was in a community with long, windy and hilly roads. The roads had been plowed once but there was about 2-3 inches of new snow when I made my exit. Put it in "snow" mode. Never would have made it without the computer. As I came to a long uphill the car started to slow to about 10 miles per hour despite the fact I had the gas pedal to the floor. Traction control light flashed intermittently as I felt the computer find the best wheel (wheels?) to turn. As it cycled I could feel a wheel hop, that would stop and then start again as I slowly made it up the hill. But I made it. I got on to a busier road but conditions were almost as bad. I once found myself about 30 degrees off the roads heading sliding towards a ditch with a telephone pole squarely approaching the right door. All of a sudden I found my self back on the road straight. Either the computer saved me or the small snow bank pushed me straight. Lastly, as I got onto I-95, which was relatively clear, I found myself wrestling with the car as I switched lanes through the thick slush. Put the snow button back on, the frightening chore became much easier! I'm running Toyo Proxes ST II tires.
    Last edited by Skywagon; 03-07-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Ads