RPM between 1000 and 2000, kinda engine shivering

This is a discussion on RPM between 1000 and 2000, kinda engine shivering within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hi, all, still seeking some answers that I am having with less than one month old Evoque... Anyone out there having the same issue that ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Hi, all, still seeking some answers that I am having with less than one month old Evoque... Anyone out there having the same issue that I have.. RPM between 1000 and 2000. Hitting a gas pedal in that range to speed up slowly, I feel like engine kinda shivering and feeling vibration on the gas pedal. It is like.. engine not pumping enough power to pull this heavy weight machinery.. I thought because engine was not heated enough in the cold weather but found it is happening no matter what..
    I use Costco fuel, which may have alcohol content up to 10 % (per Costco sign).. is it because of this? It is like when u driving a manual shift, changing into a high gear early then it starts shivering..

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I only use (when possible) Chevron with Techtron and it really works. Go on most motorcycle forums and they'll tell you the same. However, I really would get your car into the dealer as I believe the shift points on this engine (I am presuming USA car) are electronically controlled. Does it still do it if you drive in Sport mode?

Member #
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a 2012 with 10,000 miles and have noticed this since day one. I am not a mechanic but i think it is turbo lag. The turbo takes time to build boost and makes the engin seem like it is missing.

I am not sure about the fuel issue. The Evoque and the Ford edge share the same exact engine. The Ford edge doesn't require premium fuel. I run 93 octane from Mobil or BP stations.

Make sure you tell your dealer about any concers you have no matter how big or small. They keep a history on your vehicle and documenting issues will help in the long run.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    My 2013 does not do this. Unlikely that it's normal. Turbo lag, I think, is only a factor when you step on it, I could be wrong. BTW, the reason I mentioned trying it in Sport mode is I read somewhere that the car starts off in 2nd gear, likely for MPG issues, and probably only in D mode.

Member #
    FWIW. I have two Evoques. Ever since I had the power up grade both engines require more throttle angle to down shift simply because they are producing more torque at the lower RPM's. The subsequent "shuddering/vibration/sounds are the engine "lugging" as some call it. Laboring at the lower RPM to produce the torque without the down shift. The first time it happened it immediately got my wife's attention and caused her alarm. If this, is in fact what you are experiencing, and you're in drive mode simply down shift with the paddle switch or put your foot down a little further forcing an auto down shift. As you know in D (Drive) the transmission will stay in the paddle selected position for only several seconds and the revert back to normal "D". Of course I could be wrong!?

Member #
    So, I went ahead and called my local dealer about this topic. They said bring it in and they will take a look at it. No real help....

Member #
    Skywagon, has the correct answer. Dealer will find nothing wrong. Eng. is not downshifting to save fuel. BTW, Skywagon, what is the power upgrade??!! Are you referring to the new program to prevent lip mode after long periods of driving in the rain/ If so I was not aware it up'd any power? No intent to hyjack thread

Member #
    That's why... the "real normal" driving mode is Sport, not Drive. Many cars are designed to do everything they can to get the MPG numbers up. Including starting off in 2nd gear. Which may be what you are experiencing. I had a C6 Corvette with a 2nd gear cut out (manual trans) so that when you started off you were forced to shift from 1st to third (after which you could use 2nd). It was all about MPG numbers. Even though I use my 2013 in Sport mode 90% of the time, I don't feel the lag you're describing in D. Maybe they changed the computer on later cars?

This about the Cayenne:

"According to Porsche the Cayenne's , when cold starting, run in 1st for a few seconds. This is programmed into
    the transmission computer in order to "warm up" the catalytic converters faster within the first few seconds....

Once Cats are hot, then 2nd gear is the default gear for starting accelleration from stop... No matter how aggressive
    you drive... 1st gear can only be select with "manual mode" or flicking tip button to downshift at stop..."

Member #
    Red Rover,
    Correct. After I got the update/fix the first thing I noticed was most of the turbo lag was gone. Then I notice a definite increase in power. I asked my service manager about it and he said the update did increase power but no number was assigned to it. I'd wager it's an increase of about 25HP. I never had the water ingestion problem or any limp mode experiences. And yes I have driven in heavy rain.
    Scrannel,
    I traded a Cayenne S for my wife's Evoque. You are correct about the first gear issue when cold. Of course the first gear is like a stump puller gear in a Cayenne. I also had a Mercedes E-55 AMG. In normal mode it used second gear at the start. It's all about MPG but more importantly emissions.
    In my Evoque I use Sport around town and Drive on the highway.

Member #
    Thanks All!
    I tried in sport mode most of time then the issue turns out to be minimal. I do not know what is "POWER UPGRADE" and how we can do it in the US but certainly this is not a very pleasant feature sacrificing a little MPG number...I should wait till Evoque will be sold with Jaguar made engine. My dealer says it won't happen till 2015. Evoque is a very nice car, I have to admit, but it lacks some refinement like Germans. I traded in 2012 Mini Roadster and I hardly noticed any vibration on Mini steering wheel when it's in idle mode but now I do with Evoque. Mini was paid 30k and Evoque i paid $55k...
    Last edited by prana; 02-27-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads