Radar Detector GPS problems: Any ideas?

This is a discussion on Radar Detector GPS problems: Any ideas? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hi, Just bought a 2013 Evoque Dynamic, and my GPS enabled radar detector doesn't work very well (GPS portion). I have it mounted up high ...

Member #

Hi,

Just bought a 2013 Evoque Dynamic, and my GPS enabled radar detector doesn't work very well (GPS portion). I have it mounted up high on the driver's side windshield where they've left an "open" spot without UV film. Mostly the GPS will not work, but every now and then I get a signal. There is no rhyme or reason for the intermittent signal loss, so I was wondering if anyone has ideas on how to "fix" this? My detector doesn't have an external GPS antennae capability, and the internal antennae is directly under that "open" spot on the windshield. My model has the heated windshield, so I'm guessing that is another problem.

Any help or ideas to try would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I presume you do not have Nav system. On my car (which does) I notice what looks like the GPS antenna mounted as far forward on the dash in the center. I do not have satellite radio, so that's why I presume it's the GPS. I do read of others on other forums using Garmin stand alone units etc., so maybe it's not the glass, but positioning. Most people w/o the built in Nav seem to be using cell phone nav systems that work off cell towers and do not need a clear sky shot.

Member #
    Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, the heated/solar attenuating windshield has some elements that block most signals from inside your car, therefore the addition of the small area without it. Unless you can find a way to mount an external GPS antenna, you may find the signal to be spotty. On my 2012 there isn't even a small area on the windshield without the heated element, so I had to mount an external unit for the toll reader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Here's the deal. The USA cars apparently ONLY come with the heated/solar attenuating windshield while it is (according to UK forums) an option in UK and Europe. Thus some are not having issue. But then, apparently, all GPS units are not the same, as suggested by post #9 of this thread (I have no idea if it's accurate):

Are there any portable GPS that works ?

Of course you can always use a cell phone cell-tower "GPS" (because it's not really GPS and doesn't need a satellite).

Member #
    I have been using a Garmin NUVI and have noticed that if I have the unit outside until it finds a signal, and then bring it in and set it on the dash, it appears to hold a signal. I also lay my cell phone up on the dash for improved reception. I have been using one on for those sticky / gummy pads to keep things from flying around.
    Currently own:

1986 Vixen 21TD Motorhome- 55k
    1979 Lancia Beta Coupe - 45k "complete restoration in process"

Ads