Transmission Problem

Transmission Problem

This is a discussion on Transmission Problem within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. It doesn't downshift soon enough, which seems to create a strain on the engine. i ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Transmission Problem

My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. It doesn't downshift soon enough, which seems to create a strain on the engine. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. No problem when accelerating fast. The car also doesn't disengage the transmission when coming to a stop until the last second (similar to what would happen if the clutch in a manual transmission was not depressed until the last second). Finally, the car vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D" as if it is trying to go when brake is on. Also vibrates when in "P". Is there a software update that will fix the downshifting problem?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RVA View Post
    My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. It doesn't downshift soon enough, which seems to create a strain on the engine. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. No problem when accelerating fast. The car also doesn't disengage the transmission when coming to a stop until the last second (similar to what would happen if the clutch in a manual transmission was not depressed until the last second). Finally, the car vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D" as if it is trying to go when brake is on. Also vibrates when in "P". Is there a software update that will fix the downshifting problem?
    I have noticed the same conditions as mentioned but not the last two regarding the vibrations when in "D" stopped or in "P". Keep us informed.
    Currently own:

1986 Vixen 21TD Motorhome- 55k
    1979 Lancia Beta Coupe - 45k "complete restoration in process"

Member #
    you might have read my concerns on this problem.. same here.. I tried to engage in Sport mode in local roads to avoid this issue but I found myself driving 20 MPH in 4 th gear in Sport mode so had to turn into "D" mode. Very annoying.. Are we really care about high MPG in this car to sacrifice a decent driving fun?? I really hope LR resolve this issue..

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The vibration when in "park" is not a big deal, but the lugging is very disconcerting in a luxury vehicle. The vehicle simply does not downshift soon enough. I've tried running in "Sport" mode, and while that helps, it does not solve the problem. I'm surprised that more people haven't complained about it in this forum. Car and Driver Magazine (January, 2012) said the following: "the trans doesn’t like to downshift, meaning the driver has to toe deep into the throttle to find some boost. Dive too deep, though, and you’ll get a downshift that, paired with all that boost, jerks the car abruptly forward. We found it was easier to stomp hard on the gas to get a downshift and then feather the throttle to hold onto the lower gear while staying out of the boost. Not fun."

Member #
    This issue was introduced with the software update that compensates for the issue were condensate accumulates in the intercooler in very specific situations (search for it... you will find a ton of posts from people left in dangerous situations because of a flaw in the Ford Ecoboost engine). JLR remapped the ECU to provide enough power for the car to not have to enter limp-home-mode if a cylinder is shut-down in the afore mentioned situation (as rare as it is for most people/climates). So, you are getting more power out of the engine than what you should (as most people that have had the car before and after the update will attest to). However, in a move that was likely done to maintain the fuel economy numbers, the shiftpoints are set too far to the Eco side of things. The only solutions (unless JLR were to revert back to the old ECU map, and solve the condensation issue in another way) is to push a little harder on the accelerator (the ECU will then drop a gear or 2 to meet the torque request), or to run in Sport Mode.

Member #
    Thanks for the very helpful explanation. I wish they would come up with a software fix that would re-set the shift points.

Member #
    I believe our transmissions are adaptive, in other words they "learn" our driving technique. I recently had the dreaded dead battery. The battery never really went dead but I think they disconnected it at the dealer. The first thing I noticed was the transmissin shifting differently. Perhaps disconnecting the battery will clear out transmissions memory? Just a thought!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
    I believe our transmissions are adaptive, in other words they "learn" our driving technique. I recently had the dreaded dead battery. The battery never really went dead but I think they disconnected it at the dealer. The first thing I noticed was the transmissin shifting differently. Perhaps disconnecting the battery will clear out transmissions memory? Just a thought!
    Good point. Many transmission apparently are adaptive these days. Which is why transmission faults can be cause by a battery that's not getting a proper charge.

Member #
    This is interesting. I haven't had the software update to address the condensation issue. Which is the lesser of the two problems? I've had my Evoque for about 6 months now and haven't experienced the intercooler issue but I guess the odds will increase as we move into warmer weather up here.

Member #
    my friend works as a mechanic at land rover dealership and he told me there is a gear software update; once you get the update, your transmission should run more smoothly. did anybody get this update yet? any difference?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads