Ignition timeout

Ignition timeout

This is a discussion on Ignition timeout within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I know this may sound dumb, but I just got my beautiful Evoque a week ago and it's driving me crazy that you can't listen ...

Member #

Ignition timeout

I know this may sound dumb, but I just got my beautiful Evoque a week ago and it's driving me crazy that you can't listen to music or many other things like watcha DVD with the engine off. The ignition times out after 10 minutes and shuts everything down. Does anyone know of a fix or workaround for this? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    This is not unusual for a CANBUS system. My C6 Corvette was the same way. However my son's new Jeep (also CANBUS) will let you listen to music and doesn't seem to suffer battery drain.

Member #
    Interesting. I'm sure there's a way to change it. But I would assume only the dealer knows.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The issue is the battery cannot handle the electrical demands. Period. They had a charging software upgrade because the alternator wasn't even properly charging the battery. The first week I had my car the dealer saw I was getting like a 2 minute waring and just gave me a new battery. After doing the software upgrade.

Member #
    I guess there's lots going on. That's a shame. I'm sure I've seen a BMW with two batteries before. One in the trunk and one in the engine compartment to help ease this problem.

Member #
    Yes, and some Mercedes have a dual battery application -- but I believe it's usually for cars with an electric convertible roof. Part of the problem with the Evoque is the "Green" charging system. I think the idea was that, once the battery reached full charge, the alternator would sort of "free wheel" to use less power. Problem was, the alternator stopped charging too soon and batteries were discharging below a recoverable threshold. The software "fix" was designed to prevent this. Still, unlike the "good old days" the alternator isn't always "charging", even though that charging would be cut off by a voltage regulator. This problem has haunted other cars and even motorcycles with CANBUS and not sure why.

Ads