Strange indications today...

This is a discussion on Strange indications today... within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I've only had my Evoque 2 weeks now (totally trouble free). Then, this morning happened. The outside tempurture was around 38F or 4C. I don't ...

Member #

I've only had my Evoque 2 weeks now (totally trouble free). Then, this morning happened. The outside tempurture was around 38F or 4C. I don't know if that played a part or not. Probably didn't matter. I then had the rear door open for loading my ski equipment. The skis were a bit too far back and when I closed the door, it stopped when it came in contact with the skis. I then opened the door, moves the skis a bit more forward and closed the rear door again, this time successfully. I don't know if that played a part or not. Probably didn't matter also.

Then I jumped in the seat and started up. As I started moving forward, I noticed that I had a signal in the center information panel that my BT did not connect. I think I've had that one other time, but I'm not sure about it. Mostly, the BT connects very quickly and automatically.

I pulled over and did a manual pairing with my IP. That was successful and only took a couple of seconds. That's when I really noticed the "trouble". Only a few items would operate from the touch screen and the few that did were VERY slow to come up. I was totally locked on one radio station. I could not bring up ANY GPS functions. For the most part, the touch screen was lit, but nothing worked. FROZEN. Over the years I've heard all the negative comments about electrical problems with British cars. I'm think, oh, my god, it's TRUE.

While can't be totally sure, I think I did one turn off everything and try again. Maybe I didn't. What I definitely did was go skiing which was about a 45 minute drive. During the enter drive, I kept touching the panel with absolutely no response. When I got to the skiing area, I had to shut down and go into the lodge to buy a ticket. When I returned to the car, I had to drive it to another location for my first ski run. Upon starting the car, the touch screen came back to normal operation and ran like a top. Couldn't be happier. No visit to the dealer to fix the problem and waste my time going and coming.

The touch screen worked fine after skiing also. I'm hoping I never see this problem again. Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? Just bad karma this morning? I did get out on the right side of the bed.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    The best computers often have glitches too.

Hopefully this is a rare occurrance. I think a restart would have cleared it so perhaps you didn't do a restart until after your skiing?

I have an Italian car that needs a complete battery terminal disconnect every so often to reboot the ecu to function properly...its the computer age...joy!

Where were you skiing? Were the conditions good?

Paul in Canada

Member #
    While I was driving up to the ski area, I was thinking of disconnecting the battery when I got back home, but first I was going to call the tech shop at my dealer to see if disconnecting the battery might cause other adverse effects.

And I was skiing at Snoqualmie Pass (The Summit). I would say the conditions were good, but not as good as last week with dry powder. The snow was a little heavier today. Among the few things that I don't like about the Evoque, the back end is a tad short to get a pair of skis in. They just barely fit with the 60% rear seat back folded forward. I would love to find a receiver ski rack that would fit into my 1 1/4" receiver. I would even take a 2" if I can find a converter bar that would fit Range Rover's receiver. I've only found one and the bar didn't go into the receiver far enough to insert the pin.

I'll make do now, but I think I'm going to have to consider putting rails on top in order to mount a top ski carrier. I guess I'll slide over to the dealer and ask what it would cost. Judging from what they nicked me for the receiver, I'm guessing $1000-$2000. I have a 1 1/4" bike rack and I'm thinking of taking a good look at it to convert it to a ski rack. I think all I would need is some kind of metal platform to stand the skis on and then securely bungie them to the bar that holds my bike.

PS Can't wait to try my Evoque in some real highway snow!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Dear Starflyr,
    I had this issue a few times to date, (2 and a half months of EVOQUE), the last time it happened I shut down the vehicle and let alone for about 10 minutes, when I was back, it all came back to LIFE! also what happens quite often is the USB or iPod ports do not connect, do not charge, then I also leave the vehicle, shut it down and come back...All works again.
    The dealership could not figure it out yet...
    Lets keep posting about these issue, but the best place to post is in the "EVOQUE MAINTENANCE" area.

Regards
    brazeagle

Member #
    Just wondering if you have tried it in snow yet and how is it. I live in Bellevue and thinking of getting the Evoque too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starflyr View Post
    While I was driving up to the ski area, I was thinking of disconnecting the battery when I got back home, but first I was going to call the tech shop at my dealer to see if disconnecting the battery might cause other adverse effects.

And I was skiing at Snoqualmie Pass (The Summit). I would say the conditions were good, but not as good as last week with dry powder. The snow was a little heavier today. Among the few things that I don't like about the Evoque, the back end is a tad short to get a pair of skis in. They just barely fit with the 60% rear seat back folded forward. I would love to find a receiver ski rack that would fit into my 1 1/4" receiver. I would even take a 2" if I can find a converter bar that would fit Range Rover's receiver. I've only found one and the bar didn't go into the receiver far enough to insert the pin.

I'll make do now, but I think I'm going to have to consider putting rails on top in order to mount a top ski carrier. I guess I'll slide over to the dealer and ask what it would cost. Judging from what they nicked me for the receiver, I'm guessing $1000-$2000. I have a 1 1/4" bike rack and I'm thinking of taking a good look at it to convert it to a ski rack. I think all I would need is some kind of metal platform to stand the skis on and then securely bungie them to the bar that holds my bike.

PS Can't wait to try my Evoque in some real highway snow!!!

Ads