Brake Pedal height

Brake Pedal height

This is a discussion on Brake Pedal height within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Ok, here's a weird question. In my previous cars I have been able to keep my size 11 foot's heal on the ground and just ...

Member #

Brake Pedal height

Ok, here's a weird question. In my previous cars I have been able to keep my size 11 foot's heal on the ground and just pivot my toe from gas to brake. In the Evoque, the gas is farther away than the brake. When I pivot to the left I hit the side of the brake, and when I raise my toe higher to get over the brake, my toe hits the bottom of the dash board. With my heal on the ground, my toe actually hits and stops at the bottom of the dash trying to pivot over to the brake pedal! That's kind of dangerous to hit something while going for the brake. Does everyone else out there always raise their whole foot up to go for the brake? How about people over 6' tall because that large of a move and draw back changes where I'd like to have the seat, due to the different distances of the two pedals from the seat. If the seat is forward enough to be comfortable on the gas, then it's too far forward to comfortably (thoughtlessly) pull my knee up far enough to go for the brake each time. That's something I never even thought about in a car before now, never had that problem. I wonder if the bottom of the dash panel can be removed or if there's packed stuff behind there that would be in the way anyways.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I may have resolved my problem. With the car off, I was depressing the brake pedal as far as it would go and releasing to try to troubleshoot the problem, and it felt like I was squeezing air out of a beach ball. Every time I depressed it to the bottom and released, it came up a little lower and depressed a little firmer. Maybe there was air in a line that got pushed into a reserviour, or maybe the electronic brake assiatance feature which reacts to pedal movement wasn't properly aligned with the true height of the pedal. Whatever it was, the pedal is now an inch or two lower at top height, and when I brake it's no longer overly-spongy feeling.

Member #
    does sound like a brake bleeding issue (air) but I would be inclined to have the dealer rebleed them to ensure that the bubble(s) didnt just move or break into smaller foamy bubbles that can reform to give failure later on..... I'm a fanatic about brake bleeding...safety first

paul
    Last edited by CanadianEvoque; 12-26-2011 at 05:02 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Turns out the brake pedal does not change its height, it only seemed like it did because I was wearing shoes with lower heals that day. The problem is not the brake height, its a too-low barrier above the brake. Some days my foot gets caught on something while going for the brake, other days it doesn't. I looked under there and removed a small black panel underneath labelled "Hush Panel" to see if that would give me more room, but my foot still got stuck on something, so I took my shoe off, placed it on the pedal, took its picture (attached), and then pivoted the shoe back on its heal on the way to the brake. I have now documented what is keeping my foot from reaching the brake. A metal "hook". Very Dangerous! I wear regular off-the-shelf size 11 Sketchers. I don't know what that piece of metal does, I wonder if I can take a large pliers to it and bend it out of the way.
    Name:  2011-12-26 13.36.13b.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  94.0 KBName:  2011-12-26 13.36.36b.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  91.0 KBName:  2011-12-26 13.37.01b.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  93.4 KBName:  2011-12-26 13.37.08b.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  95.2 KB
    Last edited by fixmdude; 12-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Member #
    I haven't had an issue... perhaps your foot position is higher on the pedal than most people?

I'm not one to say as I am a Lotus guy . It is impossible to drive a Lotus Europa or even a Lotus Esprit with full foot position... just the toes of the foot.

I will check mine later when I go out with my whole foot entirely planted on the pedals.

Paul

Member #
    I have not had any issues with this area. I wear a size 13 and no problems.

Ads