What you hate about your Evoque

This is a discussion on What you hate about your Evoque within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; After reading about the "issues" and not so great stock NAVI system, I decided to order a more basic Evoque without Navi....then I made a ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What you hate about your Evoque

Member #

After reading about the "issues" and not so great stock NAVI system, I decided to order a more basic Evoque without Navi....then I made a mistake and forgot to order satellite radio (dealers really should do a better job going over all the options)

So I figure, no problem, I will add after market ones.

I plug in my Garmin NUVI and find out that the heated winshield cuts satellite transmissions by 95% so that the NUVI rarely gets enough signal to stay on track and constantly loses signal all together..... I have spoken to Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan and none of the GPS units currently have external antenna attachments...so I'm out of luck for NAVI!!!....back to maps! or else pay constant roaming charges and use my smart phone which is huge expensive when out of my country.

Secondly, I was able to get an external antenna for the satellite radio I added, but the antenna is magnetic and the Evvoque roof is aluminum so it wont stick...I had to apply double sided tape...at least I now have satellite radio clear and crisp.

Next i find out my electronic toll road transponder does not read the required signals when on the highway resulting in a much higher invoice each month as the "video toll charge is added" due to the window not allowing transmission of the signals....I tried placing it throughout the car with no success.

I hate that the heated windshield does not permit satellite transmissions to my aftermarket satellite radio, navigation system, and toll highway electronic transponder. Give me ordinary glass and a window frost scraper instead.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I would have also been perfectly happy with normal glass as there's not much benefit to a heated windshield in California. You can see the heating grid at night which makes night driving a bit more difficult. I'm using Google navigation on my Droid and haven't experienced any dropout though.

Member #
    yes, thanks for mentioning the glass at night....approaching lights illuminate like stars throught the web embedded in the glass...clear glass would be far safer for night time driving.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the phone Droid based Google GPS is not satellite based, but cell tower based, so no interference from the glass...at least that is how it was explained to me...but use my phone travelling from Canada to Florida for 24 hours of data and roaming charges, I might as well buy a different car!

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The Google system available here is sat/nav and works pretty darn good, especially for free. It's at least as accurate as the Mercedes system I had in my last car. Not sure what they're using in your area.

Member #
    I hate how small the dead pedal is but thats about it. The nav is a little sub-par but thats not that big of a deal.

Member #
    While I was trying to learn the slow and combersome built-in navigation system I kept my Garmin, attached the suction cup to the right RPM gauge window so I could see it through the steering wheel, and laid the power cable which also works as an antenna across the center console so it could pick up the satelite signal through the large sunroof. It took much longer to start gathering a signal but I got it to work that way. When the Evoque went back to have a scatch buffed out they gave me a loaner Range Rover Sport and I couldn't get the Garmin to pick up a signal in that (small sunroof) so I suctioned the cup to the sunroof next to my head, with the Garmin hanging from the roof. I could hear it fine and I just had to peek up and to the right to see the map. You could try that too.
    For the toll booth ipass not working, IL gave me an external Ipass that attaches with the front license plate screws, it's a black bar across the top of the plate between the two screws. Ask your toll pass system operators about that option.
    I still hate that the online manual shows 10-way power seats but the car came with 6-way seats which only move on an angle from up and forward to back and down, not back and up, so there is little leg room, the seat is either too far up, or back but too low to the floor so my knees are too high. Did anyone else notice that the floor of the evoque is not flat? It slopes, so you can't put the car on cruise and just set your right foot down on the floor without twisting your ankle at an awkward angle. Maybe it would be less of a problem if the seat was in the right location.
    The slow navigation system is not just that, the whole center computer is slow. In the Acura MDX as soon as you put the car in reverse the rear backup camera pops on. In the Evoque I'm done backing up and I'm switching the car into Drive by the time the rear backup camera finally decides to come on.
    Last edited by fixmdude; 01-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Member #
    Have had the same issues with the windshield. We switched the toll tag to a different mounted type and I use a non-GPS based radar detector instead of hubby's GPS one. Also, I don't have NAV so I use my Droid or his iPhone.

Member #
    Here it goes with some not so welcomed stuff in the EVOQUE:
    The NAV system isn't so bad, after you get used to it, and for the following reasons:
    The NAV on the EVOQUE does not have the SPLIT SCREEN mode, like others allow you to see half-map and any other screen you wish, like your tunes for example;
    The NAV screen SOMETIMES takes about TOO LONG 15 to 20 seconds to give you the rear view camera after you gear reverse;
    The NAV does not give you, NEITHER the dashboard does not indicate your cardinal points (N-S-E-W) AT ALL! that is BAD;
    And the worst two issues:
    The heated windshield disables your eZpass (your toll paying device) used in FAST LANES to pay for tolls, that means, you cannot use it in the windshield, I usually go through with it in the GALSS ROOF and it works (not all the time!).
    The heated windshield has a very strong GLARE when opposit trafic is approching.

Other than that, so far so good, I have had a great time with my Evoque and CANNOT stop receiving compliments on a car that is HARDLY seen in NYC and vicinity (in fact, I have not yet seen ONE!).

All the best
    brazeagle

Member #
    Found another thing I don't like. When I'm playing a song and I set it on Repeat, after shutting the car off and starting it again later, the radio will continue playing the end of the song but not remember that it was set to repeat. I have to push the Audio button on the Home screen then push the Repeat button every time. Repeat used to stay how you set it on every other player I've ever used.

Member #
    What option includes the "heated windshield"? I have a Pure with and as far as I know, the only heat to the windshield is the defroster although the rear window is definitely electrically heated.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads