Tire pressure

Tire pressure

This is a discussion on Tire pressure within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Light came on. Put air in tire but it is still on for right front. Do I need to take to dealer? Safe to drive ...

Thread: Tire pressure

Member #

Tire pressure

Light came on. Put air in tire but it is still on for right front. Do I need to take to dealer? Safe to drive to dealer 40 miles away? Thanks. Oh and tire looks fine.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    A simple 2 dollar tire pressure gauge will tell you if the pressure is fine or not. It is safe to drive if its not going flat, should be no problem. If tire looks fine, and pressure is fine, drive it. If it has the right pressure, it should take no more than 15 minutes for the system to relearn a TPMS to learn a new sensor. If you have driven it this long and the tire is fine, there is probably a problem with the sensor itself and it will require professional assistance i.e replacing the TPMS module on the wheel or other diagnostic.

As reference, I had a low pressure warning come on, topped off pressure in tire, and drove for a few minutes and the warning went away, has not came back since. There was no other action on my part.

Rob

Member #
    Thanks. That's what I thought. The tire does look fine just like all the rest. I can buy a tire pressure gauge at auto parts store I assume?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yes, usually there is a box of them by the check out counter at an auto parts store. To be honest, before I took it to the dealer, as that can be pretty inconvenient, I would probably remove the negative terminal from the battery for a few minutes. This will not do anything if it is a problem with the sensor within the tire itself, but it might help if it is a problem with the module in the car. The thing is, disconnecting and then reconnecting the batter will not hurt anything, even if it may not help. To me, it would be worth a try. 10mm wrench would do the trick, the owners manual tells you how to access the battery. While you are under the hood, you can check the oil and washer fluid, coolant level and the like that you should do weekly anyway. Disconnect the battery first, when your done checking all the fluids, connect the battery and button it all up.

Driving with the low tire pressure warning on will not harm the car in any way if the tire is actually fine. It will be annoying though.

Rob

Member #
    Thanks so much. I did buy a tire pressure gauge and it said it was at 30. Cost about $3.40. Tried a different air machine at different gas station and it cleared the problem. Guess the other gas station had bad free air. Lol. You were quite helpful and saved me a trip to dealer.

Member #
    Curious, does the Evoque tell you what the pressure is in the tire or do you have to manually check the pressure? We are looking at buying a 2012 and the low pressure warning was on but she didn't know if it gave the pressure or not.

Member #
    On the same topic I have a particular issue with my TPMS. My original rear driver side tire kept loosing air. I would fill it up, check it with a gauge, warning light would go away, and a couple days later the sensor would go off again and I would repeat the process.. Didn't bother addressing because I was in the process of getting new rims and tires. TPMS was good for 4-5 months, but as of the past couple weeks the issue has risen again. TPMS warning comes on for driver rear, fill with air, gauge check, clear warning, and the next day or so TPMS warning light appears again. Luckily I'm not far from a gas station that offers free air, but this is a pain.Obviously I'm loosing air in the new tire, but for the problem to occur on the same TPMS when i had the stock tires seems a bit skeptical. There is a slim chance that both my new stock tire and my new after market tire are both loosing air, but again the chances of this seem slim.Has anyone had any issues with loosing air due to the TPMS itself?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mijo View Post
    On the same topic I have a particular issue with my TPMS. My original rear driver side tire kept loosing air. I would fill it up, check it with a gauge, warning light would go away, and a couple days later the sensor would go off again and I would repeat the process.. Didn't bother addressing because I was in the process of getting new rims and tires. TPMS was good for 4-5 months, but as of the past couple weeks the issue has risen again. TPMS warning comes on for driver rear, fill with air, gauge check, clear warning, and the next day or so TPMS warning light appears again. Luckily I'm not far from a gas station that offers free air, but this is a pain.Obviously I'm loosing air in the new tire, but for the problem to occur on the same TPMS when i had the stock tires seems a bit skeptical. There is a slim chance that both my new stock tire and my new after market tire are both loosing air, but again the chances of this seem slim.Has anyone had any issues with loosing air due to the TPMS itself?
    If I read your post correctly, you replaced the RIMS as well as the tires. The odds of a second rim and tire having a slow leak are slim at best. When shooting trouble, of any kind, look at what changed, and what stayed the same. I assume your OEM TPMS sensors were put on the new rims. If so, that is what stayed them same. Mix up some dishwashing liquid in some water. Get the tire valve at the six o'clock position, remove the valve stem cap, and slowly pour the soapy water in and over the valve stem. If the valve stem is leaking, you will see bubbles in the soapy solution. You can also use this method to look for leaks around the trie bead. Of course, to do this on the inside of the tire, you must remove the wheel from the vehicle. When looking for leaks around the bead, pay special attention to where the wheel weights are attached to the rim, a common place for leaks, after having new tires fitted. Good luck finding your problem.
    Last edited by Rsquared; 10-15-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Member #
    Good advice. Ill give it a try and see if it is the tire. Again, as you said, I feel it's the TPMS. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Member #
    We are looking at buying a 2012 Evoque. Just curious, does the system tell you what the tire pressure is on your screen or just that you need to check it? The current owner wasn't sure.

Ads