air filtration and air quality sensing for automatic recirculation

This is a discussion on air filtration and air quality sensing for automatic recirculation within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I got my Red Dynamic (with black rooftop since I went to Georgia, of course) last August (2012). One of the things that I noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: air filtration and air quality sensing for automatic recirculation

Member #

I got my Red Dynamic (with black rooftop since I went to Georgia, of course) last August (2012). One of the things that I noticed after owning the car a few months was that I did not smell the world anymore. The air filtration system was amazing and I could be driving right behind a polluting semi or next to road kill and nothing. So impressed, in fact, I brought it up to husband's attention and he agreed. Anyway, I took it in to dealer for first year service this past September. The moment I drove off, I smelled everything, not just trucks and smoke but things like wet pavement and cigarettes. Took it in and I got the "little lady" treatment and a talk about how there's nothing that will protect me from smelling the world and how I could just manually adjust the air circulation system. I was pretty upset, but ultimately decided it to let it go since the dealer pretty much has the market cornered in Ga. It has gotten worse and now so much smoke and fumes invades the cabin, I get bad headaches and even nausea during bad traffic conditions. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I've contacted the dealer again and I am waiting to hear back but it would be very helpful to get thoughts from other owners so I have ammunition to protect against "it's just you, lady" responses. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Has the cabin air filter (referred to as a pollen filter I believe) been changed to date?

Member #
    It is not "just you, lady". I do not smell the outside much at all either. I love that. I also do not get dust in the car. That is awesome. I leave the recirc mode in "Auto" at all times. I am not even sure what taking it to manual will do. I never took the time to look it up. Anyway, the dealer changed the cabin filter during the complementary first service (done at 7800 miles). I never had a problem before, and don't have a problem now. Of note, when they were changing the filter, they accidentally unhooked a wire and induced a problem with the transmission. The transmission would not automatically shift to park when the car was shut off. In fact you could not shut the car off unless it was in park. I had another dealer look at it and they fixed it in a day.

My point is that to change the cabin filter, it is very labor intensive, and not a straight forward process. The second dealer said that it was quite difficult in fact and takes a couple of hours. Maybe they did not re-install the cabin filter when they did your service, did not get it seated properly??? My two cents. Take it back and have them look at it again.

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thank you for your post rwsave. This will help me a lot. I just dropped it off at the dealer and will share your info. The issues started, dramatically after I took it to the first complimentary service, so there's no other explanation. Like you, up to that point, I was extremely impressed with the auto-air circulation system. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Member #
    There a two filters available. One is carbon impregnated to stop odors. The other is without the carbon. Here's a good video about changing the cabin air filter.

Member #
    As for me the Auto circulation DOES bring smells from outside but only if there's a polluting source (such as a truck smoking in front of me)....I active (press & hold) the manual button usually when I'm at traffic light or traffic congestion you know and then the cabinet is isolated from any smells .... this's since I bought the car 3 months ago ...I don't know if this's the standard options or if there's somthin wrong as you said! :s
    try to read the manual book you might get a clue

Member #
    Auto is recirculating inside air, Manual is bringing in filtered air from outside, correct?

Since we are on the subject, what does MAX do for me? Is that the maximum amount of air coming out as in comparison with pressing all 3 arrows (Up, Down, Out)? I think I am just as lazy in not reading the manual.
    Last edited by HH60M; 01-11-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HH60M View Post
    Auto is ecirculating insid air, Manual is bringing in filtered air from outside, correct?

Since we are on the subject, what does MAX do for me? Is that the maximum amount of air coming out as in comparison with pressing all 3 arrows (Up, Down, Out)? I think I am just as lazy in not reading the manual.
    Center AUTO control: Computer uses all features A/C, heating and ventilation (recirc. and non- recirc. ) to give you the best environment at the temperature you've selected.

Recirculation Button auto/manual:

Recirculation auto: Computer senses the interior humidity and pollution and uses a combination of recirculated and non recirculated air to make optimum environment.

Recirculation manual: Ventilation switches to closed recirculation (example use if a smoking bus or truck pulls in front of you and you want to switch over quickly to avoid the diesel/oil smell.)

Max Button:

Computer chooses combination of features for quickest defogging and defrost.

Member #
    "The second dealer said that it was quite difficult in fact and takes a couple of hours." My dealer charges $130 per hour. That equates to about $260 labor to install a $35 filter. The posted video has it done in less than 10 minutes. The internet certainly is a great resource when it comes to saving money.
    Currently own:

1986 Vixen 21TD Motorhome- 55k
    1979 Lancia Beta Coupe - 45k "complete restoration in process"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HH60M View Post
    Auto is ecirculating insid air, Manual is bringing in filtered air from outside, correct?

"Max" turns on the defogger, as well as front, rear, and side mirror defrosters.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    2012 Fuji White Evoque Prestige- Tan/Ivory/Espresso Interior, Sport Pedals and Sport Style Foot Rest, Mud Flaps, Silver Rails, OEM Ski Rack and Bike Rack , Climate Package, Style 6 wheels with Hankook tires in summer, Style 5 wheels with Blizzak tires for the frozen Minnesota tundra in winter- Set for Adventure in Style!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads