Fix for poor fuel economy?

This is a discussion on Fix for poor fuel economy? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I have read through the mileage thread and after using our 2012 Dynamic, I am officially perturbed. I hadn't given much thought to the mileage ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

I have read through the mileage thread and after using our 2012 Dynamic, I am officially perturbed.

I hadn't given much thought to the mileage since the wife tends to drive the Evoque far more than me and I really never paid much attention to it. Over the last month or so, I have been taking it to work and back and I'm averaging ~19MPG measured by actual measurements dividing miles driven with fuel pumped- the computer was registering higher, roughly 20.5MPG. This is 95% highway miles with a 60 mile round-trip each day on the interstate (I-95). Speed has been pretty consistent, setting the cruise right at 70 and no major fluctuations.

Only performance issue I have noted is excessive (by my standards) carbon around the exhaust. My expectation would be 25 or so average highway mileage at the constant speeds I'm running.

Anyone observed similar and found a solution?

/r

Allen

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    That is exactly my experience - MPG, speeds, commute. No solutions, unfortunately. I have no idea what the others in the FE thread are doing differently than me.

Member #
    Posting the question here to gauge other's experiences before pressing further with the dealership.

In the mean time, I may run a can or two of Seafoam through the fuel system and treat the upper end based on the carbon I keep getting around the exhaust.

/r

Allen

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I average 18.4 mpg and I drive 85% city (the 15% highway is often stuck in traffic). When I drove to Chicago a few months ago, I reset the meter and averaged around 27 mpg using cruise control. I have been able to average 32 on the highway, but that was without cruise control and with a lot of effort.

19 mph for mostly highway driving seems low, unless you deal with a lot of stop and go traffic. Or a lot of accelerating and slowing down. Or hills. I assume your tire pressure is set correctly and you're using premium gas?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
    I average 18.4 mpg and I drive 85% city (the 15% highway is often stuck in traffic). When I drove to Chicago a few months ago, I reset the meter and averaged around 27 mpg using cruise control. I have been able to average 32 on the highway, but that was without cruise control and with a lot of effort.

19 mph for mostly highway driving seems low, unless you deal with a lot of stop and go traffic. Or a lot of accelerating and slowing down. Or hills. I assume your tire pressure is set correctly and you're using premium gas?
    Yes to the usual suspects and no, not much stop and go. I actually tend to run the tire pressure a bit high at 38 (all vehicles) out of personal preference. It is a bit hilly in New England but nothing outrageous and fuel economy for our other vehicles is in line with expectations. The driving style was the wild card- I discarded the mileage in town when my wife was the primary driver. The observed mileage again is 95% interstate with the cruise set at 70 for the majority of the time.

Even with the typical NE drivers, I have been making a point to shift my driving style to minimize large speed fluctuations to maximize milage. This is why I am seeing this as an issue- I would expect at least 6 MPG better than we're getting (25 MPG), shooting for 10 (putting it around 29 MPG) highway.

Wondering if I may have a partially fouled plug or two...

/r

Allen

Member #
    In Atlanta, (2012 Dynamic) the MPG improves with the summer gas blends and temperature. Now in winter, I am getting 17.5 mpg in the city. If I set a new trip as I hit a true, moving highway, I get about 25 mpg. Combined, I usually get 20 mpg. In the summer, I get the advertised 18 mpg in the city, closer to 27 mpg on the hwy and a combined mpg of about 22.

Member #
    The reality of an Evoque moderate driving style is and average of 14.2 city and 24 highway, but do not ever expect anything really better than that.
    Moderate means speed limit plus 10% and city driving defensively. I know it sucks for a 4 cylinder turbo engine! specially when you compare to the new A45 AMG Mercedes...
    Cheers
    brazeagle

Member #

Well am getting 13.5L / 100KM which i found a little excessive.

A full tank once latest me 510Km with the indicator noting 80km to empty. ( light was on). That time it was 80% highway. I filled it up 56 litres.

The second time it lasted me only 350km with the indicator noting 150km to empty. This time it was mainly city driving ( it was also snowing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Here's how I measure it: I go twice the distance on half the tank size than I had on my Full Fat Range.

Member #
    Don't forget to change the air filter periodically.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads