Transmission Question

Transmission Question

This is a discussion on Transmission Question within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I have questions regarding "D" vs "S" sport mode operation. Since I took delivery of my 2012 Evoque, when putting selector in "S", the trans ...

Member #

Transmission Question

I have questions regarding "D" vs "S" sport mode operation. Since I took delivery of my 2012 Evoque, when putting selector in "S", the trans would have to be paddle
    shifted manually. I assumed this was proper operation. Since I got the Q255 rain upgrade, when "S" is selected trans shift automatically, but with more aggressive pattern, and does not "lug" like it does in "D". Which is correct? Called the dealer, they could not answer, said to bring it in. What do you guys say? I do have a "service required" prompt when I start car, Has flashed "low Battery", Transmission, Low coolant. What a pain! That SQ5 is looking better all the time!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    In sport setting automatic shift points are more extended – shifts at higher RPMs. Downshifting happens sooner. Sport doesn't limit you to the paddle shifting. As a default sport automatically shifts for you, that's why its a setting, it doesn't have to be shifted with the paddles.

Member #
    So the way it is now, is correct. For a year + it was a manual shift mode only. I swear if I put it in "S", "2" would show in the info window(unless you hit paddle, for "1") and would not shift until paddle was used.

Also, has this ever happened to you? When you start car, selector button comes up, but then goes back down, for several seconds then comes back up?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    No. There is something wrong.

Member #
    I haven't searched for it myself, but wasn't there a TSB about a problem related to the shifter that was cured with a software update?

Member #
    Redrover, I recently encountered the same situation as you. When I put it into Sport mode, it would only allow me to paddle shift. I finally figured out I was in snow mode on the terrain response selector. When I put that back into normal driving mode, all was fine. Give that a try and let us know if that resolves your issue.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    Redrover, I recently encountered the same situation as you. When I put it into Sport mode, it would only allow me to paddle shift. I finally figured out I was in snow mode on the terrain response selector. When I put that back into normal driving mode, all was fine. Give that a try and let us know if that resolves your issue.
    I have a 2014 US Evoque and just a few minutes ago on my way home what you described happened to me: I was in Sport mode, and as soon as I went to snow mode, automatic shifting went away. Is this really the intended operation, or have we stumbled across a bug?

Member #
    It is supposed to do this. Not so you can wind the motor out in each gear, but so you can use very low RPM and very low torque output to prevent wheelspin on snow or ice. For example, leaving a stop in 2nd or even 3rd gear. Actually quite the opposite of Sport mode, more like Super Slow mode.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenchbender412i View Post
    It is supposed to do this. Not so you can wind the motor out in each gear, but so you can use very low RPM and very low torque output to prevent wheelspin on snow or ice. For example, leaving a stop in 2nd or even 3rd gear. Actually quite the opposite of Sport mode, more like Super Slow mode.
    Ah, makes sense! Did you figure this out yourself or learn it somewhere?

Member #
    Hold your hand up if you've read the owner's manual!
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Ads