Evoque Forums banner

Silver Wheels or dark grey Wheels

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kwinder 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2013 Pure Plus Coupe in black. It has the silver 6 spoke 19" wheels. The car has dark grey accents all over and I felt the wheels just looked a bit too bright. In the past I have had great success painting my rims with the Duplicolor rim paint. It sounds sketchy I know, but I have now successfully painted 2 different Saab's and 1 Carrera 4S. I live in Colorado with lots of rocks, snow, and chemicals and this paint has held up as well as the factory paint for many years and miles so it is a very good product when applied correctly.

So I bit the bullet and repainted them.

I think this color is perfect for this trim. It perfectly matches all the other parts with that dark grey (gunmetal) kind of look. Took about 5 hours and cost about $45 US

Here is my before and after pix.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks very nice. The gunmetal color still allows the rims to contrast the body, only less bright. What about curb rash on the rims? Wouldn't a scrape reveal the silver color underneath and make the scrape standout. How about black lug nuts (black not painted?) Rather than lighter contrast occurring with silver ones the black lug nuts would have the same subtle contrast with the gunmetal rims as the body color. I am a fan of this basic spoke rim design and I have it on my Evoque. It looks very functional and at the same time aggressive. The new premium rim designs for 2015 are terrible. Like a poor aftermarket wheel choice, boring, like an over designed hubcap and not working with the Evoque's body lines.

#5 ·
yes, if I get a good curb rash it will be silver underneath. I haven't ran into that problem in the past but I suppose I could touch it up quite easily with this product too. I thought about the lugs as well but didn't have them and didn't want to paint over the chrome as I didn't know how that would come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.