Results of adding a K&N air Filter 2.0L on mileage

This is a discussion on Results of adding a K&N air Filter 2.0L on mileage within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I've had my Evoque now for a few weeks and I really like it. I averaged about 24.7-25.5 mpg through the first couple of tanks ...

Member #

I've had my Evoque now for a few weeks and I really like it. I averaged about 24.7-25.5 mpg through the first couple of tanks of gas (roughly 400-415 miles per tank. I live in Colorado at 6500 feet of elevation. Also the speed limit where I live is 75 mph so a portion of my drive is around that speed.

I know there are mixed feelings and misinformation about K&N filters, but I have used them on every vehicle I've owned and have always had great results. (Saabs, Porsche's, Ford's)

I installed one and I'm just about through my first tank of gas. The mileage is averaging 1.5-2 mpg better across the board. On the highway if I drive 60-65 it will creep up to 30 mpg, but at 80mph it is about 27.4. Mixed driving so far (which is the same as before) is now averaging 26.1-27.3.

There is not much difference in noise level, but the throttle response is definitely improved and it feels a bit brisker under light throttle which tells me it is definitely breathing better. It may be that the altitude is why I see the benefits that I do, but it is a worthwhile addition as far as I can tell. Full throttle acceleration seems unaffected except at the initial start where it gets going a bit faster.

I'd be interested if others are finding the same thing.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I installed a K&N filter on my 2013 Evoque about a month after purchasing it new last summer. My subjective impression was the same as yours – better throttle response. Often we believe that the result we were looking for is now there. Unless I reinstalled the factory filter and drove it for a couple weeks and then switched back, would I be able to say with confidence that there was a definite throttle response increase. I wish K&N would produce their cold air intake system for the Evoque. I've responded with several emails to them through their customer email service but it doesn't look like its going to happen. A turbocharged motor responds to increased cold intake air flow very well. Maybe there's nothing to improve upon if the Evoque's engineers did their job well. Some intake snarl would be welcome. The K&N web site no longer lists the air filter for the Evoque. At least we have the paddle shifters to play with.
    Last edited by mstraka; 07-17-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Member #
    I wonder why K&N removed the part.... I can't imagine it's for any good reason, probably LR pee'd off with them.
    Would you be so kind as to drop me a note with the K&N part number so that I can search around for it.

Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The K&N air filter for the Evoque is part # 33-2991. It can easily be found on ebay with the search ' Evoque K&N air filter."

Member #
    I searched ebay, but found it cheaper on amazon.com
    I mainly purchased so that it can be recharged instead of buying a new filter each time. Personally, I didn't notice a diff.

Also, I purchased the cabin filter (carbon); however, mine already had the carbon in it even though threads said otherwise. I admit, I brought it in once for a maintenance (oil, flat tire), but I doubt they would have replaced it. (So, I have an replacement for next year.)

Member #
    Something to keep in mind with the K&N Filters is to be careful not to over oil them. When I owned a supercharged 4-Runner, I installed a K&N filter. I must have over oiled it because when I inspected my MAF (mass air flow sensor), it was covered in gunk. Cleaning it made a huge difference in performance.

Ads