Evoque Squeaking and Creaking Noise Solved

This is a discussion on Evoque Squeaking and Creaking Noise Solved within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I have had a squeaking/creaking sound when driving over rough surfaces coming from the rear of my U.S. spec 2013 Evoque Coupe since new and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Freddy
  • 1 Post By mstraka

Thread: Evoque Squeaking and Creaking Noise Solved

Member #

I have had a squeaking/creaking sound when driving over rough surfaces coming from the rear of my U.S. spec 2013 Evoque Coupe since new and it has gotten progressively worse. I found the source. There are two large pieces of styrofoam framing opposite sides of the spare tire. I guess this is to fill the void (hide wiring looms) and act as an insulator from road and tire noise. As its made of styrofoam, it produces a squeaking sound when rubbing against other surfaces. It's not securely fastened which causes movement and makes the problem worse. As it frames the tire I pushed towels in the two 1/2" gaps between it and the spare tire to stop the movement and stop the noise. Finally no squeaks! This is really a cheap oversight of engineering that shouldn't happen in a Range Rover.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I had a similar issue with my 2013 Evoque. For the first 6 months I was plagued by a metallic rattle coming from the rear of the car. sometimes, it was barely noticeable, other times it just rattled and clunked -- especially over rough roads and traffic bumps.

I also dug around the back, taking everything out, adding padding to the rear tire well and "tightening" the styrofoam surrounding the rear tire by adding felt pads and velcro. I then crawled under the car to see if some suspension pieces were loose.

As that didn't stop "my" noise, I then put rubber insulation around the pistons which open and close the rear hatch, I even added additional weatherstripping in order to make a stiffer seal around the hatch.

IN THE END, I finally figured it out... I put some white lithium grease around the latching mechanism -- the clanking sound went away and has not returned. When I mentioned this to my service advisor at the one-year point, he said he also had an evoque with the same issue and spent time driving it around with a service tech while he lay in the back -- SAME solution -- grease on the latching mechanism.

I offer this in case you too are plagued by a mysterious clank from the rear.

And I agree with mstraka, the further i dig into my evoque, the more I find bits and pieces that are more "Fordish" than Range Rover, but then RR was part of the Ford family for quite a while. It will take a bit of time for that DNA to disappear.

Member #
    I had a similar type of "creaking" noise to the one posted by mstraka. I thought it might be the Styrofoam but no; it turned out to be the rubbers (both sets)around the doors on right hand side. I had my new Evoque for about 12 months before this noise appeared, a type of "creaking" when going over anything but the flattest of road surfaces. My dealer has now, after 3 days , replaced the rubbers & everything is now fine. Someone else recommended treating the rubbers with Autoglym . I have done this as a preventative measure and will keep a bottle of it in the boot, just in case!!
    wungun likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I tried the white lithium grease advice on the tailgate latch mechanism. Now after having padded the styrofoam and this greasing method there is no noise coming from the rear, just the regular tire hum from the road. I used the spray white lithium grease (easy to find at an auto parts store) as it makes it possible to get to all the hard to reach areas. Its like a chain lube, once sprayed the liquid carrier evaporates over time leaving only the grease.
    wungun likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I had a similar type of "creaking" noise to the one posted by mstraka. I thought it might be the Styrofoam but no; it turned out to be the rubbers (both sets)around the doors on right hand side. I had my new Evoque for about 12 months before this noise appeared, a type of "creaking" when going over anything but the flattest of road surfaces. My dealer has now, after 3 days , replaced the rubbers & everything is now fine. Someone else recommended treating the rubbers with Autoglym . I have done this as a preventative measure and will keep a bottle of it in the boot, just in case!!

I have had a crinkling sound (kind of sounds like a mix between melted ice sloshing in a cooler and a plastic grocery bag being crumpled) every time I went over a bump, swerved back and forth or drove on a slightly rough road). I figured it might be the rubber around the door seals and while waiting to put something on them I came across this thread and took out the styrofoam around the spare tire and the spare tire itself but that didn't fix it. I then used 303 cleaner and then the 303 vinyl protectant on all door seals including the rear hate and even the surface where the metal on the front door comes in contact with the front of the rear door and that did it! This sound has been driving me crazy for 6-8 months and was getting worse.

I got this car used at 36k miles and it started soon after I got it. It has 46k now. The only issue is that I have read that silicon spray or treatments like this 303 only last a couple of months. Most claim Krytox or Gummi Pflege is the best product for this. I think talcum powder would probably work best of all but I don't see a way to apply it without making a mess.

Ads