Break in oil change - Page 2

Break in oil change

This is a discussion on Break in oil change within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Total waste of time, effort, and oil. Go have that oil tested and you'll quickly see how old school you really are. Maybee you get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Total waste of time, effort, and oil. Go have that oil tested and you'll quickly see how old school you really are. Maybee you get 300K out of motor instead of 275K Big whup. Howmany plan to keep it for 10 yrs at 30K /yr??

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Oil begins to break down from the time its first used. This is a slow progressive (exponential?) curve over time. 2K, 4K, 6K …, increasingly less protection as the miles increase. At some point this increasing lack of protection determines when you give your car an oil change. You don’t have complete protection up to 15K miles, and then all at once it breaks down. Lab tests on synthetic oil have shown that this progressive break down accelerates greatly after 12K miles, even sooner with some driving styles, especially with turbocharging.
    Last edited by mstraka; 01-11-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Member #
    Meanwhile, BMW diesels specify 1x/yr oil change regardless of mileage and diesels are far tougher on oil than a gas motor, and yes, they too, are turbocharged.

As a racer I have even backed off on my race car because the tested oils are in great shape even after several hard track days! Oil, motors etc have changed. I, too, resisted for a while till the numbers became overwhelming. We WASTE millions of barrels of oil/yr on unneccessary oil changes that add , maybe 5-10% to the life of the motor. You want fuel economy and lubrication economy. That is exactly what new motors do.

BTW just confirmed my 2011 X35d never needs tranny or diffs done and techs have seen many vehicles with 200000+ miles and fluids still test extremely well!--> in desert climates!!

The odds of an oil related failureon a less than 100K motor are inifinitessimally small. You folks are doing anyhting bad (except for the climate) but you aren't doing anything necessarily good either.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    My first oil change was when I brought the vehicle back after three months, done for free. (I know, I paid for it in the retail price of the car, I'm not stupid). Subsequent oil changes have been pretty expensive, especially when my car went out of warrantee last year. Still, it's only once a year. Other than that, I'm still happy with the car after five years of ownership. I'm giving it another year and will start looking for replacement. I too have issues with the tailgate not working unless I've driven for a while. It's the damn "small battery" issue. Also, Eco start/stop has never worked beyond a day after having it looked at. I'm pretty pragmatic about it. All new luxury cars have problems. My generation had to manually open and shut the tailgate and although a bit annoying, I still have the skills to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ads