Using the paddle shifters

This is a discussion on Using the paddle shifters within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I want to try out the paddles on the evoque, but I have a few questions first: Is it bad to leave the car in ...

Member #

I want to try out the paddles on the evoque, but I have a few questions first:

Is it bad to leave the car in 1st gear when completely stopped (ex: at a red light)? I recall the manual saying something about this.

Should I downshift when slowing down (ex: approaching a red light)?

When should I upshift and downshift? From what I've gathered, I should upshift at around 2000-4000 rpm.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Can't imagine it would be bad to leave the car in first gear at a light, but, from what I hear, it's a REALLY low gear- almost useless on the street. But if the manual says not to, don't do it.

Downshifting coming to a light can help you from using the brakes. But otherwise harmless. Some motorcycle riders are taught that downshifting coming to a light helps keep them in the optimum gear in case they need to move quickly.

Upshift and downshift as you see fit. Really no different than a manual transmission. Everything affects gas mileage. Avoiding revving too high (just adds stress on things) and don't downshift into too low a gear until at the correct speed.

Member #
    Okay, thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The Evoque is much more responsive when you use the paddle shifters. Using them requires more attention to your driving. I use them most of the time and upgraded to the red anodized metal Jaguar paddles (a very easy change.) The red metal looks great and feels much better to the touch than the plastic ones.
    Last edited by mstraka; 09-23-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Member #
    Agree, especially with 9 speed you have to be attentive. I had a friend take the evoque for a spin and noticed he was slow to change gears, which I had to point out to him that it's 9 speed and not 6.

Ads