Coming apart at the seam

Coming apart at the seam

This is a discussion on Coming apart at the seam within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I was surprised to see my drivers seat is already coming apart at the seam. The seat shows very little wear. I don't have keys ...

Member #

Coming apart at the seam

I was surprised to see my drivers seat is already coming apart at the seam. The seat shows very little wear. I don't have keys or knife clipped to my belt. I am not heavy or wide. Has anyone noticed this on your seat? I have just shy of 49,000 miles. Do you think this is covered under warranty?

Name:  2015-03-07 22.37.10-1.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  814.0 KB
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Sure looks like a "flaw" as opposed to wear and tear. I'd insist they cover it.

Member #

Re: Seam

Definitely a warranty issue as there is no rubbing or abrasion along the broken seam. The question is, will they replace the entire seat back with the upholstered leather, just the leather cover of the seat or have it re-sewn? Probably re-sewn which may not be a long term fix or look as new.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Rovingvic,

Were you able to get your seat repaired. Did the dealer offer any help?

Member #
    I can never find the time to get to the dealer, it's always such a process. Now it's out of the warranty period. I'll eventually take it to an upholstery shop possibly this summer when I take some time off. The seam hasn't split any more since the post. Are you having seam issues?
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovingvic View Post
    I can never find the time to get to the dealer, it's always such a process. Now it's out of the warranty period. I'll eventually take it to an upholstery shop possibly this summer when I take some time off. The seam hasn't split any more since the post. Are you having seam issues?
    We aren't have any issues with the interior or otherwise. Having said that, we only have 3,800 miles after 2+ years... a true "grocery getter".

Member #
    Easy fix for any upholstery repair person. Hate to ask because its a bit touchy but any weight issues involved? Seats should be capable of handling a ~350lb person but if they have oh let's just say it, a really large derriere that drags across the bolster every time , that could do it. In this case, the "esthetic" seam is vulnerable more so than pseudo hides which are usually formed and keep the seams away from this area just for this reason. My instincts say that thread got popped at some point. Will gladly edit/delete if unintended eyes might be Offended.

Member #
    No weight issue at about 195 lbs. and my wife says I don't have a butt although I obviously sit on something! No keys, knife or anything else on my belt. The seam split is actually below the most pertruding part of the bolster.

Member #
    I got a chuckle about "flaw". Its a 4 year old vehicle with ~49000 miles. Seats has probably been used several thousand times. Is it a flaw that a computer fails at several years old? Is it a flaw that tires wear out at X mileage. Frankly, there's way too much old rubber with lousy traction out there. The leather on my shoes wore out in a year. It must be a flaw. My tooth broke etc.

Good luck with the repair. Might be cool to look into some contrasting stitiching if they say its easier to just resew the seat.

Ads