Semi thinking of jumping ship question

This is a discussion on Semi thinking of jumping ship question within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; From what I've read so far about the new RR Discovery Sport, I'm thinking of trading my '12 Evoque for one. Does anyone have a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

From what I've read so far about the new RR Discovery Sport, I'm thinking of trading my '12 Evoque for one. Does anyone have a link to a good forum about this model? The few that I've looked at are mostly about previous Discovery models and I have no interest in reading about the electrical system, etc, etc on a '99 Discovery or even a '10. I'm under the impression that the new Discovery has been sold in Europe for a year or more and finally is coming to the US market at the end of April '15 or so my local dealer claims.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    The Discovery Sport is a Land Rover not a Range Rover. So far I have only seen a large number of reviews by auto magazines, Motorweek, etc. Nothing on a forum yet.
    Last edited by Rovingvic; 03-25-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The new Discovery is running on a modified Evoque chassis (which is in turn a modified LR2 chassis) so the suspension, brakes, drivetrain are virtually identical to the Evoque. Expect very similar ride, power and features.

The Discovery is longer than an Evoque (about 9" I believe) and that's how they squeeze a 3rd row in the back. I've seen it in person and the 3rd row is extremely tiny. With the 3rd row folded however there is WAY more storage space than the Evoque. The interior looks cheaper than the Evoque. Similar, but cheaper.

In some ways the Discovery is a good deal...almost like an Evoque for about $5k less, but in other ways I see it as a bigger step down than that. Discoveries have historically had the worst depreciation of almost all vehicles. Range Rover isn't great on depreciation either, but it's not as bad. Also, I imagine the heavier Discovery will get worse fuel economy than the Evoque. Mainly though, the preference for me goes to the Evoque because I like the more aggressive styling. The Disco will blend it with all the other mid-sized SUV's once the new look wears off. The Evoque is going to be a wild style for some time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovingvic View Post
    The Discovery Sport is a Land Rover not a Range Rover. So far I have only seen a large number of reviews by auto magazines, Motorweek, etc. Nothing on a forum yet.
    Never understood the difference between the term Range Rover and Land Rover. On the Land Rover website they advertise both the Evoque and the new Discovery Sport.

Thanks for the link!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    The new Discovery is running on a modified Evoque chassis (which is in turn a modified LR2 chassis) so the suspension, brakes, drivetrain are virtually identical to the Evoque. Expect very similar ride, power and features.

The Discovery is longer than an Evoque (about 9" I believe) and that's how they squeeze a 3rd row in the back. I've seen it in person and the 3rd row is extremely tiny. With the 3rd row folded however there is WAY more storage space than the Evoque. The interior looks cheaper than the Evoque. Similar, but cheaper.

In some ways the Discovery is a good deal...almost like an Evoque for about $5k less, but in other ways I see it as a bigger step down than that. Discoveries have historically had the worst depreciation of almost all vehicles. Range Rover isn't great on depreciation either, but it's not as bad. Also, I imagine the heavier Discovery will get worse fuel economy than the Evoque. Mainly though, the preference for me goes to the Evoque because I like the more aggressive styling. The Disco will blend it with all the other mid-sized SUV's once the new look wears off. The Evoque is going to be a wild style for some time.
    The added length is one of the driving factors that make me consider doing the deal. I WON'T take one with the 3rd row under any circumstances (well if they knocked 10K off the MSRP I might do it). The online presentation says that the 2nd row seating will side back a bit on command to give a little more leg room to the 2nd row. And I like the blindspot stuff as well. I would have held out for it when I bought my '12 except that it wasn't offered on the '12 model 4 door. I think the '13 or '14 models do have it as on option on the 4 door models.

I liked the Evoque "aggressive" styling when I bought mine, but find it's getting a little tired now. Other than the increase trunk space, I probably would go for another Evoque if they added 9-10" to it. A couple of years ago there was a rumor about coming out with a larger Evoque. I guess they're just going to call it a Discover Sport instead. And I do like the more understated look of the Discovery. However, all bets are off until my dealer gets on in the US. Yesterday they told me to expect one at the end of April.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Starflyr View Post
    Never understood the difference between the term Range Rover and Land Rover. On the Land Rover website they advertise both the Evoque and the new Discovery Sport.

Thanks for the link!
    An analogy would be to look at General Motors. They build both the Chevrolet and the Cadillac models. The Land Rover brand would equate to
    a Chevrolet, and the Range Rover to a Cadillac.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    An analogy would be to look at General Motors. They build both the Chevrolet and the Cadillac models. The Land Rover brand would equate to
    a Chevrolet, and the Range Rover to a Cadillac.
    I understand about Chevrolet and Cadillac, but I don't get why when I search for Land Rover, all is see are Range Rovers (Evoque, etc). Is there some upper level Land Rover that is NOT badged with Range Rover?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Starflyr View Post
    I understand about Chevrolet and Cadillac, but I don't get why when I search for Land Rover, all is see are Range Rovers (Evoque, etc). Is there some upper level Land Rover that is NOT badged with Range Rover?
    Check out the Land Rover LR4. That's the top of the line here in the US. In the UK you can still get a LR Defender which is considered by some to be the only "real" LR.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Check out the Land Rover LR4. That's the top of the line here in the US. In the UK you can still get a LR Defender which is considered by some to be the only "real" LR.
    OK, I think I finally get it. Land Rover sells the...
    Range Rover
    Range Rover Sport
    Range Rover Evoque
    Discovery Sport

under Range Rover badging

And the LR2 and LR4 under Land Rover badging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads