Aux Ignition switch position...

This is a discussion on Aux Ignition switch position... within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; One of the few things on my '12 Evoque that has "torqued" me ever since I bought the car 3 years ago is the "Aux ...

Member #

One of the few things on my '12 Evoque that has "torqued" me ever since I bought the car 3 years ago is the "Aux ignition switch position". With the engine off and ignition switch is the aux position, I get an immediate or within seconds warning of a weak battery warning that says it will shut down in a couple of minutes. I realize the radio, the GPS and other electronics do drain the battery, but why even have the aux position if I can't listen to the radio for a little while without the system shutting down.

Never had another vehicle behave like this with the ignition in the aux position.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Have you checked the battery? I've also noticed that if you're really cranking up the stereo the low battery warning comes up pretty quick.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovingvic View Post
    Have you checked the battery? I've also noticed that if you're really cranking up the stereo the low battery warning comes up pretty quick.
    And what battery would you be referring to? The regular battery cranks the engine fine. I was under the assumption that there is a 2nd battery that feed the units on the Aux ignition switch.

Are you saying you can listen to the radio for more than a few minutes on the aux ignition switch?

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Our 2012's only have one battery. Starting with 2014 I believe the eco stop start added a second smaller battery. Yes I can listen to the stereo for a little while in the auxiliary mode, but if I crank the volume I get the low battery message. It's like it's telling me don't crank up the volume past this point. It's been a while since I tried it.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovingvic View Post
    Our 2012's only have one battery. Starting with 2014 I believe the eco stop start added a second smaller battery. Yes I can listen to the stereo for a little while in the auxiliary mode, but if I crank the volume I get the low battery message. It's like it's telling me don't crank up the volume past this point. It's been a while since I tried it.
    I still say this is BS. While I don't park with music going much if at all, I do park to load the GPS and get very annoyed when I get the message that the vehicle is shutting down to save the battery. And it happens a lot as I find the GPS is NOT user friendly for quick loading.

Member #
    This is typical of SOME vehicles with CANbus electrical systems (like ours) to have batteries pushed to the verge of being over-taxed. My C6 Corvette had this issue (and had the same warning if you ran electrics w/o engine running). Because of the need to always "stay awake", unless your battery is excellent, you run the risk of pushing your battery below the "point of no return." This is more of an issue with Euro Evoques I believe because of the starting power required to turn over a diesel (check out the UK forums and you'll see lots of battery failures). The first week after buying my Evoque, my dealer ran a load test on my battery and replaced it.

From Wikipedia:

"The modern automobile may have as many as 70 electronic control units (ECU) for various subsystems. Typically the biggest processor is the engine control unit. Others are used for transmission, airbags, antilock braking/ABS, cruise control, electric power steering, audio systems, power windows, doors, mirror adjustment, battery and recharging systems for hybrid/electric cars, etc. Some of these form independent subsystems, but communications among others are essential. A subsystem may need to control actuators or receive feedback from sensors. The CAN standard was devised to fill this need."

Member #
    At least it won't leave it stranded after you drain your battery enough that you can't start it!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wungun View Post
    At least it won't leave it stranded after you drain your battery enough that you can't start it!
    That may be, but I grew up and started driving in the 50's. So I'm from an era where you could pull up to a view point with your best girl, shut the engine off, turn on the radio and listen to some music AND OTHER THINGS, and still start up the motor an hour later. The Evoque gets very quiet after about 2 minutes on aux power. I think this is BS and if the other electronics have to stay powered, there should be another battery that feeds the radio when the vehicle is shut down.

This deficiency is something that probably would never be discovered on a test drive since who would think to even do this "engine off" test? I "bought" the car in my mind after only driving it a few minutes and completed the paper work after my test drive, only to discover this BS feature months later when I wanted to park and listen to a ball game. Yeah, I've progressed from wanting to park with my best girl in my youth to wanting to listen to a ball game in my twilight years.

Member #
    My son's 2015 Grand Cherokee (Fiat of course) also has CANbus electrics and he can listen to CDs and radio all day w/o issue. So, if Fiat can sort, LR should be able to.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
    My son's 2015 Grand Cherokee (Fiat of course) also has CANbus electrics and he can listen to CDs and radio all day w/o issue. So, if Fiat can sort, LR should be able to.
    Guess that says it all. Anybody in the home office paying attention?

Ads