Dormant Evoque

Dormant Evoque

This is a discussion on Dormant Evoque within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hi all! Currently studying abroad and it's almost time for me to go back home. The holiday will be roughly three months, and I was ...

Thread: Dormant Evoque

Member #

Dormant Evoque

Hi all!

Currently studying abroad and it's almost time for me to go back home. The holiday will be roughly three months, and I was wondering what preparations I need to do for this long period without starting the car... like fuel stabilizers etc... I really want to keep it in the best condition so there would not be any problems when I come back.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jetilux View Post
    Hi all!

Currently studying abroad and it's almost time for me to go back home. The holiday will be roughly three months, and I was wondering what preparations I need to do for this long period without starting the car... like fuel stabilizers etc... I really want to keep it in the best condition so there would not be any problems when I come back.

Thanks!
    A trickle charger on the battery could be helpful. Three months should have no effect on the on the fuel with all the modern additives now included in gasoline.

Member #
    If you're worried about the fuel try Sta-bil 360. I keep a Battery Tender hooked up to my motorcycle all the time.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    To be just a little picky on semantics, what you really need is a battery "maintainer", not a trickle charger. A trickle charger puts out up to 10amps, and is meant to charge a dead battery. A battery maintainer, maintains a low amperage, only capable of about 1.5 amps max, and floats the battery at 12volts. Rovingvic mentioned the Battery Tender brand made by Deltran, usually thought of as top of the line. I have a Schumacher battery maintainer I use on my BMW. Not sure what they have available where you are.
    Last edited by Rsquared; 05-27-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Member #
    1. Deltran Battery tender. 1 amp model is fine.
    2. Add Stabil, before final fillup, drive for 10-15 minutes to get thru fuel system.
    3. Pump up tires to ~40psi to minimize flat spots. Cover and relax.
    4. If concerned when you get home drive car till almost empty before refuel to USE UP old gas. Add Chevron Techron every 3-5000 miles. I have NEVER had a single injector issue on any car with this simple formula.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    1. Deltran Battery tender. 1 amp model is fine.
    2. Add Stabil, before final fillup, drive for 10-15 minutes to get thru fuel system.
    3. Pump up tires to ~40psi to minimize flat spots. Cover and relax.
    4. If concerned when you get home drive car till almost empty before refuel to USE UP old gas. Add Chevron Techron every 3-5000 miles. I have NEVER had a single injector issue on any car with this simple formula.
    Thanks for the advice! One question, which model of the Deltran battery do I get? Do I get the
    HTML Code:
    http://www.batterytender.com/Automotive/Battery-Tender-Junior-6V-1-25A-High-Efficiency.html
    which gives 6V and 1.25A, or 8V with 1.25A, or 12V with 1.25A? Sorry, I don't know the difference!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jetilux View Post
    Thanks for the advice! One question, which model of the Deltran battery do I get? Do I get the
    HTML Code:
    http://www.batterytender.com/Automotive/Battery-Tender-Junior-6V-1-25A-High-Efficiency.html
    which gives 6V and 1.25A, or 8V with 1.25A, or 12V with 1.25A? Sorry, I don't know the difference!
    You will need a model that puts out 12 Volts. 1.5 Amps is pretty standard for a battery maintainer, of any brand.

Member #
    If already well charged even the 500mV model (jr) will do just fine but the next size up is standard. Good luck and don't worry about it. Cars sit on dealer lots for months on end and survive.

Ads