Severe vibration with Evoque Accessory Roof Rack and whistle from bike rack

This is a discussion on Severe vibration with Evoque Accessory Roof Rack and whistle from bike rack within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I purchased an accessory roof rack with bike channels from Range Rover when I purchased my Evoque in 2012 (there were not many options at ...

Member #

I purchased an accessory roof rack with bike channels from Range Rover when I purchased my Evoque in 2012 (there were not many options at the time). With the roof rack and cross bars installed there is a very severe vibration in the car at about 35 Miles per hour. The vibration creates a low frequency hum so loud I can easily hear it over the radio and feel it in the steering wheel and seat. After four or five trips to the dealer they wer unable to identify the hum. It went away when I uninstalled the crossbars and returned when they were re-installed. Clearly this is the cause.

When the bike channels are installed there is a very annoying whistle. It is also very noticeable. When I was giving a friend a ride for lunch he insisted I needed new brakes because he thought my brakes were constantly squealing. Nope! It's the bike rack.

These issues are so annoying the accessories are virtually unusable.

Has anyone else experienced these issues" Is there a known fix?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I have the official roof rails, official crossbars and the Thule bike carrier (which is identical to the official LR roof-mounted bike carrier). No issues at any time. No vibration, no hum, no whistle.

Are you sure you have the rubber inserts in the crossbar slots? And that the crossbars aren't on backwards (more rounded edge in front and thinner edge in back? That's all I can think of.

-- Paul

Member #
    Beopaul, it surprises me you don't have the same issues. I have checked the grommet, I have checked the crossbars are on correctly, and in the correct direction and the noise and vibration are very obvious. Did you get Land Rover crossbars or did you get them from Thule? I got mine from Land Rover in 2012 and I'm wondering if they are an early model with a known defect. Would it be possible to post a detailed pic of your crossbar I can compare with? I did notice my daughter's Thule rails for her Mini Cooper have a small ridge underneath which may break up the wind. I have two rails and had to modify one to face the other direction for the driver's side. The crossbars vibrate very loudly without the rails (I cannot tell which one or both as the roof does not open ); and the rails whistle when installed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    "I have two rails and had to modify one to face the other direction for the driver's side."

You should not have had to modify a factory a rail!
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    This shows the right side with cover removed. Air would be flowing from right to left. These are the official LR parts purchased early in 2014; part VPLVR0073.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  794.4 KB
    Last edited by Beopaul; 06-16-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Member #
    FYI, I am still experiencing the vibration. I found wrapping the cross bar in rope to break up the air flow eliminated the vibration completely. Also, I did have to modify the factory rail for the drivers side, otherwise the locking mechanism was on the inside of the car. I suspect Land Rover just shipped Thule bike rails...

Ads