Puncture Prone Continental Tires?

This is a discussion on Puncture Prone Continental Tires? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; 15,000 miles and in that time four flat tires due to screw punctures on my OE CONTINENTAL CROSS CONTACT UHP 235/55R19 tires and one side ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

15,000 miles and in that time four flat tires due to screw punctures on my OE CONTINENTAL CROSS CONTACT UHP 235/55R19 tires and one side wall tear when brushing up against a curb.. Does anyone else experience this tendency for flats with their Continental tires? On all these occasions the puncture resulted in a very quick deflation, not the type of puncture that allows you to drive home with it. Odd that a car with the Evoque’s off road potential comes with tires as damage prone and as these. Luckily the tire pressure monitor caught the problem quickly. On the bright side great handling tires.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Tires punctured by screws is just bad luck. You'll pop any tire with a sharp screw. As far as brushing a curb, I believe you underestimate. Sounds like you nailed a curb!! Just being honest here. What kind of curb rash did you end up with??

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    Tires punctured by screws is just bad luck. You'll pop any tire with a sharp screw. As far as brushing a curb, I believe you underestimate. Sounds like you nailed a curb!! Just being honest here. What kind of curb rash did you end up with??
    Didn't nail the curb. We all experience the A pillar blind spot looking to our right. My bad luck was that while moving forward while parking, this blind spot was hiding a street drain – all the other area of visible curb had a smooth gentle slope. The tire made contact with the side of the drain, then up and over the drain and the sidewall was torn. This isn't any more abrasive than most off road driving. Maybe the punctures are bad luck but I've never had them happen so frequently. I think this is a good performance tire but its not to be trusted off road.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
    Didn't nail the curb. We all experience the A pillar blind spot looking to our right. My bad luck was that while moving forward while parking, this blind spot was hiding a street drain – all the other area of visible curb had a smooth gentle slope. The tire made contact with the side of the drain, then up and over the drain and the sidewall was torn. This isn't any more abrasive than most off road driving. Maybe the punctures are bad luck but I've never had them happen so frequently. I think this is a good performance tire but its not to be trusted off road.
    The unfinished , rough, jagged bottom of a storm drain is pretty damn nasty. Sorry sir, but don't blame the blind spot. You made a big mistake that would rip up many sidewalls. Maybe not a Mickey Thompsom but...

I hit a piece of ledge sitting right in the road in the evening the very day I put snows on my Miata last fall. It wasn't a weak wheel, it was bad luck! Wheels and tires are disposable on a vehicle. They live a tought, unfortunate life at times.
    Last edited by ddsski; 06-07-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Member #
    The Oem tires are brutal, I got ride of my tires and rims; when down to 17inch rim and proper all terrain tires. Myself I had 5 flats in 8 months, granted they where all off road, but that's what the buggy is ment for isn't it?
    Last edited by XREF; 06-06-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Member #
    The Conti's are pretty lame and I've had those on 3 different Land Rovers. On the Evoque I went to 255/50/19, slightly wider for a little more rim protection and I think a beefier look as well. I went with the Yokohama YK580 and have been very happy with the ride quality and wear or lack thereof. Still a street tire so I try to stay away from mud, but I do venture off road when I can find a place to go as is evident in my photos, none of which are on pavement. Don't be afraid to get your rig off pavement, it will go just about anywhere you point it.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Can't speak for the Contis as the current 20's tire is a Pirelli Scorpion verde. As far as brutal ride is concerned, the biggest flaw I found quickly about our Evoque was everything they did to try and eek out an extra.5mpg. Unless fully laden tire pressures are ridiculously high for one. Posted somewhere else I believe but my 5300lb X35d runs 32/36 on 255/55R18's. A 3900+lb Evoque was set to run 35/31 on 18 or 19's and 36/32 on the 20's!!! NUTS Car is a different ride with tires set to 34/30 and it was real cool here last week and even at 31/27 the car was not mushy. It rode like a luxury car at those pressures. You don't need to ever run above 34/30 IMHO

Member #
    I ahve the 19" Contis on my 2013 Dynamic. MagneRide makes just about any tire "smooth", so if they're brutal, wouldn't know. About 15k miles, no complaints. When I get too close to a curb my prox sensors yell at me.

Member #
    I've had three Continental flats on my 2014 Evoque Prestige (USA) over the course of just over a year. Two out of the three were not repairable due to being too close to the edge. Some dirt roads, but no severe off-roading done. Seems a bit much, but maybe I'm jinxed; last time my Evoque had a flat my other car had a flat as well (a pointy rock and a screw if I remember correctly). I'm also toying with the idea of getting 17" wheels and AT tires if this keeps up.

Member #
    Its the low profile curse thanks to all the bling bling and big dub people that have been brainwashed that seeing black sidewall is bad. I would have been MUCH happier if my Dynamic had 18's in the same wheel style.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads