Rubbing sound from wheels

This is a discussion on Rubbing sound from wheels within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; When driving I can hear a constant sound..as if brakes are just rubbing on drums. Has anybody else experienced this? I have also noticed that ...

Member #

When driving I can hear a constant sound..as if brakes are just rubbing on drums. Has anybody else experienced this? I have also noticed that when I'm stopped on an incline..it takes a bit before the breaks release and I'm able to proceed. Dealer doesn't hear the rubbing sound..I think they made no real effort to do so. My car was in for a check engine light..which they attempted to resolve with a software update and later were told by land rover engineers to replace the o2 sensor..dealership told me to cross my fingers and hope that fixed the problem. Not a great way to start out with a new vehicle. I'm driving a 2015 pure plus.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Welcome Wondering! Just to clarify, the Evoque has 4 wheel disc brakes. Do you hear the rubbing sound all the time, does the sound ever stop? The brakes holding on an incline is probably just the hill start assist or whatever they call it.

Was there any symptoms when the check engine light came on?
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    Yes...the rubbing sound is all the time...I can especially hear it when driving in a enclosed parking lot or on the road with road barriers on each side. I have heard of hill start assist...but don't see anything in the manual.

No symptoms...they had fault codes that pointed to emissions and misfires in the injectors. I read this site before I purchased this vehicle..your posts stand out...Unfortunately I threw that to the wind and purchased anyway. I'm afraid to take a road trip ..don't want to be left on side of road. Previously drove toyota and hondas ...always reliable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    You didn't mention how long you have had your 2015 Evoque or how many miles are on it. I guess it's possible that you could have a brake pad that's staying slightly against the rotor or even a rotor that is slightly warped. Does the rubbing sound stop when you apply the brakes? If so then you are probably looking at a brake issue, which could affect the hill start assist. If the service tech can't hear it ask the service manager to take a ride with you to see if he or she can hear it.

As far as the check engine light goes, almost anything will cause it to come on from a gas cap that isn't tightened to a multitude of sensors and so on. This is one of the reasons I bought a scanner tool so I could see the code to at least have an idea of a possible cause. My Evoque has been rock solid since sorting out the problem I wrote about in the amber check engine thread and haven't used the scanner tool since. Also note that mine was a pretty early build, originally purchased in 2011. The 2.0 Ford motor is widely used and very dependable. Land Rover reliability has come a long way. This is my 3rd LR vehicle and I can't say I ever had a reliability issue.

Let us know if you figure out the rubbing sound.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Member #
    I have had the evoque since May...less than 6,000 miles. I don't have a heavy breaking foot. I will take it in...again and see if they can hear it.

Having your issues resolved..gives me hope!

Member #
    Rotors rarely warp. Check every rotor surface inside and out and look for a score line. You could have a tiny pebble etc stuck in between pad and rotor or a chip of a pad edge that is causing the noise. You also talked about heavy braking. I'm not sure where you are from, but if its the humid south or near the coast. Pad surfaces glaze very easily and get noisy. (Aside story) I always used to takes out my dad's Caddy he kept at HHI in SC and go find an empty open road so I could get car up to 100, then brake heavily 3-5 times to heat up pads and burn off glaze. After this, the increase in braking ability was quite surprising.
    In your case, once you have confirmed nothing is in the way (yes you have to pull wheels to do this correctly), do some hard braking to clean up pads. Light braking is actually the enemy of modern disc brakes! Have them also check the automatic parking brake and make sure it isn't sticking!

Member #
    I hear a constant sound that's somewhat loud but I need new tires. How's the tread on yours?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Member #
    The tread is great. I know tires from the manufacturer aren't always very good..what brand are u looking at for replacement?

Member #
    I replaced the Continental tires with Yokohama YK580's and went from the 235/55 to a 255/50 for a little better rim protection. The tire is slightly wider and sidewalls are almost the same as the original. I posted this in the tires and wheels section along with a few pics.

Member #
    Wondering... I live close to the ocean and have had zero issues with brakes. But as mentioned check to see if sound goes away when you brake. Possible you have a caliper piston that's not totally retracting.

As far as the check engine light, a low/bad battery can throw off ANY error code. My check engine light came on recently because I stupidly forgot to put it in Valet mode and "somebody" listened to music apparently not caring about the warning message. Light went off after charging and dealer (mine is competent) could find no error codes. When I bought my 2013 new first thing dealer did was throw away OEM battery and put in an Interstate. I know you have only 6000 miles, my OEM battery crapped out at 500 miles. If I were you I would have someone who knows what they are doing run a load test on your battery.

Ads