Limp Mode

Limp Mode

This is a discussion on Limp Mode within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Who else has experienced limp mode in an inopportune time say on a rainy day when merging, etc? Appears the charge cooler on Ecoboost motors ...

Thread: Limp Mode

Member #

Limp Mode

Who else has experienced limp mode in an inopportune time say on a rainy day when merging, etc? Appears the charge cooler on Ecoboost motors has a significant little problem.
    I followed 3 trucks across GWB at midnight Thursday on way home, got off for 87N and as I went to power to merge got a quick check engine light that went out followed by total loss of boost that did not clear itself. Being in hell (NYC in the rain) I didn't dare stop , shut off motor and restart so I limped all the way home. Felt like I lost a cylinder after a turbo was ingested! Pretty stupid design flaw, and I was just putting the lousy tranny issue to rest as the ride, handling and internal comfort is just so damn good! My service manager is aware as I called her. Ford has a recall to install a modified chargecooler on their vehicles esp the 3.5 version.
    BTW at ~80 mph down south and 75 further north, this car averages only 24mpg. 23 mpg at 80 and 25-26 mpg at 75. To get that 30mpg number you'd have to be doing 55-60 so a V6 would be just as good and we would not have to deal with all the boost/tranny related issues. May not be a long term keeper if this stuff keeps happening.
    Last edited by ddsski; 09-13-2015 at 05:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I tried driving 60 mph which seems SO slow here in California, and only got 24-25mpg actual / computer said 26-27. Not any significant difference between 60 and 80. What year is your vehicle? Hadn't heard of a charge cooler problem. There was one guy about limp mode due to rain but never heard of it being a charge cooler whatever that is.

Member #
    In heavy precip events, intake builds up condensation and when you deck it, it sucks in that moisture so sensors think it ingested water which it did! Worst thing is it doesn't clear out without a restart. Something you don't screw with in the Bronx!

Ads