2016 HSE with Goodyear tires

This is a discussion on 2016 HSE with Goodyear tires within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I got my 2016 Evoque HSE a few weeks ago and took it out in the snow (really slush) and was not impressed (even in ...

Member #

I got my 2016 Evoque HSE a few weeks ago and took it out in the snow (really slush) and was not impressed (even in Terrain setting for snow/gravel).
    I checked the tires and discovered I have Goodyear Efficient Grip which are a street/sport truck summer tire.
    I live in PA and the vehicle was delivered from a dealer in CT.
    Why would Land Rover put on tires that say not to use in near freezing temperatures? I guess they expect us to get snow tires for the winter.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I'm sure LR got a really good price for a bulk purchase.
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does! 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure Plus Coupe, 2009 Land Rover LR2 HSE traded, 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE traded.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I'm almost positive when I was specking out my MY13 Coupe, if I stepped up to the 20" wheel option, it would mean I got "Summer Only" tires. Since I live in Northeastern Ohio, that wouldn't work for me, so I stayed with the standard 19" wheel package. Don't know if that applies to the MY16 or not.

There has been controversy for years, on who has the responsibility for letting the customer know about summer only tires.
    One side says the customer should know, and be aware, of what they are buying. The other side says the dealer should make this known,
    especially if the customer lives in an area where snow is prevalent. I lean toward the latter, as I don't think the average person knows there are such things as summer only tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I'm debating whether to get rid of the tires completely or get snow tires. Typically, I've gotten all weather tires vs changing them come winter. I am pleased with my Bridgestone 442 Ecopia on my Volvo XC90. Any thoughts about what I should do?

Member #
    All season tires are an American phenomena which translates to "does nothing well". Even below 45 degrees, summer tire/all season tire traction falls off.
    So they went with Goodyears for 2016.
    The Pirelli Scorpion Verdes (20's) on my Dynamic are probably the best OE tires I've ever had on an SUV but I STILL run Winter tires due to temps. (Pirelli Scorpion Winters on 18's). At 0 degrees on a dry road, the difference is SIGNIFICANT, throw in a little frost and glaze from frozen exhaust on the road and it can make the difference between confidence and having to drive like a troll because it feels slick underneath and you find yourself understeering. If you are in northern PA run REAL winter tires. Costs nothing if you were keeping vehicle beyond a tire change and a lot less expensive than a bumper!!
    Last edited by ddsski; 02-23-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Member #
    I just might do that ddsski. I had an enjoyable drive in thunderstorms and a downpour, but the OEM summer tires did well in the late 50 degree temps (strange Feb. weather here in Central PA). No hyrdoplaning at all and they cut through the deeper puddles and we are getting hammered with rain!! I think I will keep 'em and swap snow tires come next winter. Thanks!

Member #
    Stock rubber great till temps drop below ~40 degrees. This is why the newer term is "Winter Tires" Not just about,snow, ice etc, summer rubber (at least till the reinvention of a tire made of something besides rubber) can only be designed to work in a limited temperature window.

Member #
    Stock rubber great till temps drop below ~40 degrees. This is why the newer term is "Winter Tires" Not just about,snow, ice etc, summer rubber (at least till the reinvention of a tire made of something besides rubber) can only be designed to work in a limited temperature window.

Ads