Black splatter from tailpipes

This is a discussion on Black splatter from tailpipes within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hey all, I'm a new Evoque owner (2016) and I'm getting some black platter out of my tailpipes that showing up on my garage floor. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Black splatter from tailpipes

Member #

Hey all,

I'm a new Evoque owner (2016) and I'm getting some black platter out of my tailpipes that showing up on my garage floor. I asked the dealership about it and they said it's normal for a European car. I've owned Mercedes, BMW and Audi, and I've seen "dust" before, but never have I had actual spatter on the floor. Is this normal for the Evoque? Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks for whatever input you can provide!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I've owned one for 1.5 months and no splatter in my garage. I'll update you if I see a change.
    twa1 likes this.

Member #
    "Normal for a European car"? Well, considering the engine is made by Ford... your dealer is a moron. You usually get what you're describing when your mixture is too rich, sometimes even to the point of unburned gasoline getting into the exhaust. Could check your dipstick, see if it smells of gas. Could check your plugs to see if they're real sooty. But tell your dealer to check that the car is runing rich.
    Rovingvic likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks, scrannel, that's what I was thinking too... the moron part. Thanks!

Member #
    Cold start on cold, damp day can cause lots of sooty condensation. Any vehicle can do this btw.

Member #
    I get black soot on / in the tail pipes all the time. Asked the dealer and they said it was normal. Not to me. Also, my engine was made in Spain.

Member #
    Every vehicle known to man gets condensation as hot exhaust gases hit cold metal. Its science! 100% normal. Nothing to do with European, made in Spain etc... Your tractor does it too. I watched my exhaust this AM as I was putting stuff in back as car was in a 60 degree garage but it was a nice 25 outside. Guess what ....TADTS Don't want it buy a Tesla.

Member #
    Sort of... but it shouldn't heap up as black goo like the freaking La Brea Tar Pits. Normal condensation should burn off in a few minutes with a tiny bit of moisture dripping on the ground. If it's leaving a mess, I'd check it. It should be more like soot than a blob.

Member #
    Exactly , its thin wet black water. It is caused as that initial shot of moisture laden water gets pushed out of engine/exhaust and runs along piping, muffler etc. Start and watch someday, usually its over in a minute unless car is outside in subfreezing temps and it takes a while for exhaust system to heat up.

Member #
    I don't think it's as simple as "every vehicle known to man" does it. Between my wife and I, we've owned 20 cars over the past 25 years and I've never had splatter like this on my garage floor. But thanks for the insulting comment though. Everyone else, thanks for the input!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads