Using Android mobile device Google Maps in Evoque not working

This is a discussion on Using Android mobile device Google Maps in Evoque not working within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; The problem I recently discovered is that I cannot use my Android cell phone (Note 3, Note 5, or Galaxy s6 Edge) and Navigate with ...

Member #

The problem I recently discovered is that I cannot use my Android cell phone (Note 3, Note 5, or Galaxy s6 Edge) and Navigate with Google Maps while in my Evoque because Maps gets lost while navigating. Let me explain.

Before my 2013 Evoque Dynamic (fully loaded with all the bells and whistles), I used two cell phones in my Toyota Tundra. Those devices are an iPhone 6+ (my primary phone for phone calls) and a Galaxy Note 3. I stick the Note 3 to the dash for a hands free stationary GPS unit / Pandora, using a great app called "Car Home Ultra" (see the pic). Using 3M tape I stick a steel ball called a Steelie to my dash to keep both devices secure to the dash. There is an equivalent magnetic piece on the back of each phone that magnets to the ball on the dash. This is how I've driven for three years prior to the Evoque. This device is safe to use with phones - it is designed for use with mobile phones.

I used this exact same setup in the Tundra without a single issue. Then I bought the Evoque last month and transferred both cell phone devices to the dash. It took me a while to route the wires through the dash to the location you see here
    Name:  evoque-phones.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  2.44 MB
    After installing them I noticed that the Note 3 was acting odd when Google Maps could not navigate to my local grocery store where I've driven for years in my Tundra. But my iPhone 6s+ could navigate easily to the grocery store using Google Maps. I thought it was just a coincidence with Google releasing an Android beta Maps version (9.21.0) around the same time I bought the Evoque (Feb - Mar 2016). So, being the technology geek I am, I ordered a Galaxy Note 5 to replace the Galaxy Note 3 in case it was a hardware problem or a newer version of Android causing the problem.

When the Note 5 arrived, I tried to navigate using Google Maps but it too was giving issue with finding the destination and when I started to drive, the Google Maps blue icon just simply either froze and did not move as the car was driven, or my little blue Maps icon was offroading when it should have been on the highway. It would constantly be rerouting since it could not find me.

So then I thought, it must be the magnets on the back of the phone affecting the compass. But wait, I've been using it this was for years without issue. But I thought I would give it a try anyway. So I removed the magnets and just drove around holding the Note 5 in my hand. Still it gave navigational issues. My iphone has no problems in the Evoque. Then I bought a Galaxy S6 Edge just in case the Samsung Note compass or radios were having issues and not the Samsung Galaxy's. Galaxy S6 Edge arrived and it too has the same issue. So I decided to switch cars and test this out.

When I bring all the devices into my Mazda and use the magnetic Steelie balls on the phones and stick them to the dash, I can navigate just fine and Google Maps works to navigate me using the Android phones. Take them into the Evoque and put them right back onto the dash, the Android device goes back to being haywire.

I can only think that the keyless remote system or something else inside the car near the dash is causing this. The iphone's radios obviously are shielded better and the Android's compass or radios are being affected by something inside.

I am at the point of selling the car since I rely on driving this way and thought of asking the forum for help. This is just driving me crazy. Has anyone heard of such a problem?
    Last edited by Funguy; 03-14-2016 at 02:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    The issue you are experiencing is the interference from the front windshield. All the heating elements and shielding are affecting the GPS. If you look closely to the top of the window, there's a small cutout where they recommend you put transponders, etc. I am going to guess that the nature of the windshield is negatively affecting your GPS. Can you try and see if it works out one of the passenger windows?

Ads