Death Valley Trip-Evoque Performance

This is a discussion on Death Valley Trip-Evoque Performance within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; 4 Days in Death Valley with the Evoque, here's how it did. Day 1: Darwin Falls. Immediately put the Evoque to the test on steep ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Death Valley Trip-Evoque Performance

Member #

4 Days in Death Valley with the Evoque, here's how it did.

Day 1: Darwin Falls.
    Immediately put the Evoque to the test on steep terrain. In snow and gravel mode it climbed steep rocky roads without much slipping. Ground clearance was sufficient to clear most obstacles, using paddle shifters to lock in 1st gear it was able to climb the rockiest terrain. Good so far.

Day 2: Devils Race Track

Located 27 miles from the nearest paved road, 50 miles from the nearest services, this was mostly flat dirt road but there were a few steep areas where again the Evoque performed just fine. The seats which seem a little soft on paved roads, do a great job of insulating the passengers from rough roads. We encountered high winds on our return, the Evoque was acceptably stable. Thumbs up again.

dascrow, El Chorizo and Evocurious like this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Day 3. Titus Canyon

This turned out to be some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. Anyone remotely near Death Valley should drive this road before the weather heats up. With narrow canyon roads near the bottom, this was a good place to appreciate the panoramic roof. I used the hill descent mode several times here, thought it would be useless, now I like it.

Day 4: 75 mile dirt road from Death Valley to Big Pine

For 75 miles we didn’t see another car or person. Kept thinking of the problems some on the forum were having with their car as it was a long walk to anywhere from out here. I’ve only jumped out of a plane once in my life and the parachute popping open was one of the sweetest sounds I’ve ever heard. Out here the sound of the Evoques’ engine firing up everytime I hit the start button was a close 2nd. Really starting to love this car, 100% problem free and a blast to drive.

Oh yeah...

Day 5: Mammoth Mountain

Wish I had as good an experience with the Evoque in the snow but here it fell short and I mean way short. I doubt this had anything to do with the car and everything to do with its Continental tires but it had such little traction that it felt dangerous.

Final thoughts, cleanup

After driving 200 miles on dirt roads I was concerned there may be a few rock chips. Happy to say there wasn’t a single mark on the car and with a quick wash I was able to return it to showroom condition. I also thought with all the bumpy roads there would be new rattles or squeaks from all the jarring, but there weren’t. It’s the most rattle free car I’ve ever owned and is a remarkable traveling car as it’s quiet and extremely comfortable. Except for the tires in the snow, I have to give this car high marks.

Last edited by gimme; 03-15-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    dascrow, eric, El Chorizo and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Very cool pictures! Always good to see an Evoque outside of a city. Even dirty, your Evoque looks awesome!

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The desert video was "cool". Those winter tires on the Evoque did not look like they had aggressive threads.
    Montreal, Canada; 2013 Evoque Pure Premium. Two tone silver body, black roof, custom front black grill and black side vents. Black leather interior.

Member #
    Wow - those photos are amazing! I sure wish I was closer to that part of the country because I'd be out there in a split second. I've been wondering what a good replacement tire for the evoque would be, especially for more offroad use.

Member #
    Great review gimme -- and under very extreme real world conditions. I'm especially pleased to find that there are no rattles after the ordeal. Let's hope it stays that way for many years to come!

Member #
    Wow, thanks for the good report. Nice to hear it does well in an off road situations like that. Figured it would being a RR, however your the first I have read who has actually used it off road.

Sad to hear the tires are no go in snow. But nice to know I can take it off road.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Great pics & love the story!

Any links to more pics?

Do you have a map of your route that you can share? I'd like to do the same drive!

thanks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by downtempo View Post
    Great pics & love the story!Any links to more pics?Do you have a map of your route that you can share? I'd like to do the same drive!thanks
    The places listed in the threads are all on the off road maps you can buy there. There are dozens more trails and you could easily spend a month exploring although I wouldn't do a trip after April as it gets dangerously hot. If you don't want to risk using your own car, you can rent a Jeep. I'll try to post more pictures as soon as I get a chance.
    Last edited by gimme; 03-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Member #
    We sure look forward to more of your off road trip pictures

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads