Paddle Shifters on the Evoque ?

This is a discussion on Paddle Shifters on the Evoque ? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Do you use them ? Whats the performance like ? Is there a way to disengage them ? ( I had engaged them on my ...

Member #

Do you use them ?
    Whats the performance like ?
    Is there a way to disengage them ? ( I had engaged them on my test drive without wanting to )
    Are they available in both D &/or S mode only ?

I test drove one and not very familiar with paddle shifters in general and was wondering how it fells on the Evoque
    ( in general and compared to other ).
    Last edited by evQ; 03-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I only used them once, out of curiosity. I think off road they could be usefull.

Yes they work in D or S. This is my first vehicle with paddle shifters.

If I want a little sportier, I just use S, but not the paddle shifters.

Not sure if you can disengage them. Holding up shift for a few seconds puts it back out of paddle shift mode if you hit them not meaning to.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

mas
    Member #
    I like to use the paddle shifters to "enhance" the auto mode but rarely drive in full manual mode. For example, I will be cruising in D then drop a couple of gears to quickly pass or something.
    When in S, using the paddles seems to put the tranny into manual mode and you have to hold the + for a few seconds for it to go back into auto S mode. But when in D and you use the paddles, it seems to go back into auto mode by itself after several seconds.

On a previous car with similar transmission, I would also use the paddle shifters in manual mode when in hilly terrain where the transmission would get confused and up/down shift at the wrong times. Being in manual mode let me hold the gears I wanted. I haven't driven the Evoque on similar roads yet so I'm not sure if I would do the same.

That previous one (Audi Tiptronic) worked a little better than the Evoque because the transmission had a separate position for manual mode so when using the paddles in S, I didn't have to turn manual mode off- it would revert back to auto by itself. The paddle clicks don't quite feel as good on the Evoque and it seems like the actual gear change response was a little bit faster in the Audi system as well (but still nowhere near a dual clutch system like DSG, PDK, etc.) I'm happy to have them, though. I hate the "manual" up/down using the shift levers on some automatic transmission cars.

Ads