Plasti-dipping trim pieces - weekend project that turned out better than I hoped.

Plasti-dipping trim pieces - weekend project that turned out better than I hoped.

This is a discussion on Plasti-dipping trim pieces - weekend project that turned out better than I hoped. within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Thought you might all appreciate this. I decided to blackout some trim pieces on my Evoque. Went for Plasti-dip rattle-can as I've used it before. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Plasti-dipping trim pieces - weekend project that turned out better than I hoped.

Member #

Thought you might all appreciate this. I decided to blackout some trim pieces on my Evoque. Went for Plasti-dip rattle-can as I've used it before. The front grill and side vents came out slightly textured because I did the initial coat too light, but the end result actually looks pretty good. The rear strip and lettering are smooth.
    Before & after:
    Name:  33414106763_852021199b_z.jpg
Views: 5533
Size:  88.7 KB

There's a complete gallery here if you're curious: https://www.flickr.com/photos/959034...7682870935796/

Any questions, I'll answer them as best I can.
    morey000 and carmela1217 like this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Chrisell, Turned out very well, looks good.

I didn't care for the two tone silver on the front and rear bumpers. I sprayed the front tow hook cover and the center rear bumper section with black Plasti-Dip. The color and texture matches the lower black part of the bumper very well. Has been on almost on three years, and looks as good as when I first did it. Although, to be fair, the Evoque only does about 2000 miles a year, a grocery getter for the wife.

Tried to follow your flicker link, but it said "Page Not Found".

Member #
    Woops. Forgot to make the pics public. Link to Flickr should work now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    It's really easy. It's all in the preparation - clean everything, mask it well, then take a huge leap of faith and spray black plasti-dip on your bodywork
    I found a thicker "wet" coat works better for a smooth application - not so much that it runs but enough to get a good coverage on the first spray.
    I did 5 coats with 10 minutes between each.
    Then let it dry for an hour and start peeling. Air temp when I did this was about 15 C.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisell View Post
    Thought you might all appreciate this. I decided to blackout some trim pieces on my Evoque. Went for Plasti-dip rattle-can as I've used it before. The front grill and side vents came out slightly textured because I did the initial coat too light, but the end result actually looks pretty good. The rear strip and lettering are smooth.
    Before & after:
    Name:  33414106763_852021199b_z.jpg
Views: 5533
Size:  88.7 KB

There's a complete gallery here if you're curious: https://www.flickr.com/photos/959034...7682870935796/

Any questions, I'll answer them as best I can.
    It looks great!

Member #
    way too much time on your hands.

peter

Member #
    That looks really good. How did you do the lettering?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    That looks really good. How did you do the lettering?
    If you look through the album linked in the original post you'll see the photos of how it's done. Plasti-Dip (when done right) is great for stuff like this - you basically spray everything then peel the paint off the areas you don't want. As long as there is a panel line, join or cut line (like between the letters and bodywork) the Dip just peels off and self-cuts around the letters. So you mask off the whole area around the letters, spray a good layer of Dip on - I do 5 coats each with 20 minutes drying time. If you don't let it dry, or don't do enough coats, it doesn't congeal and allow the 'peeling' function to work and you end up with a mess.

This pic from the album shows me pulling the dip off the masked areas around the letters with it cutting around the letters on its own:
    Name:  34067822782_a48879a50a_z.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  72.5 KB
    lemmy999 likes this.

Member #
    that looks terrific. I've been thinking of doing that myself. My '16 SE Premium already came with the gloss black grill and trim pieces. it's just the letters that aren't black.

but then, I'd need to do the wheels as well. Which look like they take quite a bit of work in preparation.

so, I've been avoiding it as I 1. haven't had time, and 2. figure that I'll futz it up and just make a mess of a good looking vehicle.

yours came out great!

Member #
    The cool thing is if you mess it up, just peel it all off and start over, or polish it up and the original look will be back. Bear in mind you'll get a slightly matt finish from this. If you want shiny black you need to add another step but I wanted the matt/textured finish.

Also - don't dip your wheels. It's damned complicated and the first time you go near a tyre-change, you'll need to peel it all off and re-do it.
    morey000 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads