brake light switch

brake light switch

This is a discussion on brake light switch within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hi everyone. Iam new in this forum. Thanks for welcoming me.I have an Evoque 2011 , 2L turbo petrol. My question is what happens if ...

Member #

brake light switch

Hi everyone. Iam new in this forum. Thanks for welcoming me.I have an Evoque 2011 , 2L turbo petrol. My question is what happens if the brake light switch is not working? Will the engine turn? Will the gear selector raise?I understand that the brake is linked to the gear selector and the push button.In other automatic vehicles there is a manual switch just below the gear lever which you can use in such case.Does the Evoque has one?If not should the car be towed on how many wheels.Thanks in advace if somebody could clarify this issue for me.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Fredo, Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think the brake light switch would affect the engine starting. If you really need to tow the Evoque,
    and the engine won't start, you can select neutral as follows.
    1. Turn on ignition, without foot on brake pedal.
    2. Press and hold the foot brake on.
    3. Pull the + transmission shift paddle, and hold for at least 15 seconds.
    4. Gear selector will rise and you can select neutral.

NOTE: The above works on Evoques thru the 2013 model year.

Manually release the Electronic Parking Brake by leaving ignition on, pressing foot brake and push down on the EPB switch.

The Evoque is 4 wheel drive and should never be towed with the wheels on the ground. You need to have it put on a rollback type tow truck.
    Last edited by Rsquared; 05-01-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Member #
    Thank you Rsquare.agree with you about towing on a rollback type tow truck specially when neutral gear can't be selected.But i still would think that if the stoplight switch is dead , neither the stop/start button nor the gear selector will work. I believe that the said switch has wires for the stop lamps as well as wires going to start button and gear selector. this is why you are asked to press the pedal for starting and gear selection.I dont know if i am mistaken, would be good to have the advice of an autoelectric from the forum.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Thank you Rsquare.agree with you about towing on a rollback type tow truck specially when neutral gear can't be selected.But i still would think that if the stoplight switch is dead , neither the stop/start button nor the gear selector will work. I believe that the said switch has wires for the stop lamps as well as wires going to start button and gear selector. this is why you are asked to press the pedal for starting and gear selection.I dont know if i am mistaken, would be good to have the advice of an autoelectric from the forum.
    HI.I had a talk today to my former mechanic(not LR).He confirmed what ive said.He said that in such case most of the vehicles(eg BMW X5) have a manual knob somewhere by means of which the gear can be put in neutral and the handbrake released.Unfortunately for Evoque he doesnt know.All the difference is that the gear selectorin evoque is electrically raised. So Guys, i will arm myself with a spare switch costing about 10 dollars kept in glove compartiment. Normally it should be easily changed. It plugs like a bayonet lamp. This may avoid looking for towing and great expenses at the LR garage.

Ads