Yakima Cargo Box & rack on OEM rails

This is a discussion on Yakima Cargo Box & rack on OEM rails within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is thinking about doing the same. I had a set of Yakima Low Riders (mounts ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By mas
  • 1 Post By mas
  • 1 Post By mas

Thread: Yakima Cargo Box & rack on OEM rails

Member #

I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is thinking about doing the same. I had a set of Yakima Low Riders (mounts that attach the Yakima bars to factory rails) from a previous car and decided to use them on the Evoque. I had snow and bike racks that I've already been using on a few other cars so I wanted to use it on this one too.

I had to purchase the 58" bars to fit across the factory rails which are set pretty far apart compared to some other vehicles. But after mounting, I marked and cut off the extra length (about 5~6") to end up with a cleaner look. The low rider attachment fits the factory rails tightly, despite looking like they don't quite fit properly because of the small gaps. I placed the the front and rear bars about where the holes are for the factory rail system. They end up sitting a little lower than the factory bars (based on photos) but don't look as clean due to the mounting hardware.

Last week I purchased a Yakima Skybox 16S cargo box for a 4 day trip with the family and it worked great. It's biased a little forward to clear the rear hatch. I adjusted the door to stop opening at about 80% and set the box location to match. It's 81" long (factory box is about 62.9") there is a bit of overhang over the front of the roof but you can't see it from the inside unless you look through the panorama roof. There was a little bit of wind noise but most of it went away when I closed the shade on the roof. Fuel mileage at 70mph went down about 3 mpg compared to the naked roof. I also have a wind deflector attachment for the bars which should help with noise that I haven't put on yet.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the setup. The deal I got on the box probably saved me $800us vs OEM and I didn't have to purchase the OEM bars either (about $440us retail.) I can take it on/off in less than 5mins and I increase my storage capacity more than 2x with 4 passengers in the car. Here are some shots of the system on the Evoque.

Name:  P1020719.jpg
Views: 21256
Size:  134.6 KBName:  P1020720.jpg
Views: 10791
Size:  137.0 KBName:  P1020724.jpg
Views: 13928
Size:  132.4 KBName:  P1020721.jpg
Views: 3761
Size:  61.6 KBName:  P1020722.jpg
Views: 5533
Size:  91.3 KBName:  P1020723.jpg
Views: 5536
Size:  105.2 KB
    Last edited by mas; 04-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    exigejoe, dascrow and Evocurious like this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Looks great! Finally someone posted a cargo box. So im thinking about getting the thule 1600 atlantis XT (dimension: 74x36x16.6 inches) do you think i would clear it from the rear tailgate and have not to set it? I thought the length of the factory box is 62.9" Do you think the box looks to big for the car? I think it matches it perfectly! Good job!
    Lotus Exige S, track prepped
    Range Rover Evoque, fuji white
    Vespa 150cc scooter

Member #
    Wow, that looks awesome mas! Thanks for sharing those photos with the forum!

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Looks great! Thinks for the mpg report as well. I think a lot of people add these type of cargo boxes and don't think much about how it can affect your vehicle.

Member #
    Looks great on there!

Member #
    Thanks, guys! It looks like I did some bad metric conversion and the OEM box is in fact what Exigejoe said.

I feel like the box is just a tad big- like 10-15% for the proportions of the Evoque but I love how much it holds. It wouldn't be as bad if I could push it back on the roof farther and ignore the rear hatch. That big spoiler is what causes the problem. The shape of the Skybox 16 actually kind of matches the pudgy look of the Evoque so it looks better than I thought it would.

The Thule box fit depends on a few factors. Aftermarket cross bars can be slid fwd/back and there are location adjustments on the box mounts too. It looks like the OEM crossbars have to go in a predetermined location so you lose a bit of range due to that. Then, the angle of the rear of the box and height it sits over the roof will affect clearance as well. I can probably slide my box forward a bit more to clear the full range of the rear door but I think it might look a little weird plus put too much unsupported weight forward of the crossbars if loaded noseheavy. Therefore I chose to take bruises on top of my head.

I would recommend going to a shop to test fit the box once you have your bars set up because it's going to be pretty close. I have a feeling it will clear ok, though if it's shorter than mine.
    Last edited by mas; 04-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    exigejoe likes this.

Member #
    Cool to see the roof rails on there. I think they alone add quite a bit of sportiness!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Member #
    I have oem roof rails and cross bars, so the cross bars are at a fixed location. While looking at the thule it seems i have a foot of shifting to forward/reverse pmovement. REI has the thule box i want so i will try to fit it. I think the thule has 1inch more of height. Do you think your yakima looks to tall for the evoque?
    Lotus Exige S, track prepped
    Range Rover Evoque, fuji white
    Vespa 150cc scooter

Member #
    The Thule 1600 Atlantis XT might be taller in dimension but looks like it has more of a slope on the front than my Yakima and the bottom looks like it's notched so it probably won't look as tall when mounted. Not sure how much taller your crossbars are- that will have an impact as well.

I feel like mine is borderline looking too tall but I'm ok with it. At least you can return it easily at REI if you don't like it. I hope you didn't use your 20% off member coupon yet!
    exigejoe likes this.

Ads