Evoque Forums banner

brake dust

14K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  ddsski 
#1 ·
I am not sure if this is normal but i have been seeing a lot of brake dust lately on my car. Is this normal or are the Evoques using a different kind of brake pads?

#2 ·
Seems I get lots of brake dust on my rims too. Wish I could keep it off too.

#4 ·
I have never been a big fan of break dust, who is? There are replacement break pads out there that significantly reduce the dust if you were interested. I personally keep a micro fiber cloth in the garage and wipe down the wheels 1-2 times a week, no water or cleaner. The dust wipes right off. If the wheels get wet prior to having the opportunity to wipe them down, you may have to wipe them down with a damp cloth. If you wait too long the dust kind of bakes on there (2-3 weeks) it takes much more effort. I only spend a few minutes a week between washes taking care of this. If you take it through a car wash, you always have to wipe down the wheels. The wash always misses spots on the wheels.

Rob

#3 ·
Talked to the LR mechanics about this and i was told that this is normal. The Evoque uses soft braking pads which causes more brake dust. There is no other option but to clean the tires more often and use brake dust cleaners to make it easier to wash off the dust. Unfortunately, my rims are Style 4 which were the standard - not a good choice as this style is difficult to clean.

#6 ·
That is good to hear but I sure still seem to get it and I have 2334 miles on mine. Not many miles seeing I got the Evoque mid January. The Harley I got mid December has 7356 miles on it.:confused:

#8 ·
dust

As soon as I get time to look, I will find out whose calipers are being used and get a set of Hawk HPS pads. Way lest dust and great stopping power. I find the evoque's brakes to be extremely sensitive anyway.

One dealer told me to spray the wheels with pam and you can just hose off the dust. I haven't tried it yet.

#9 ·
I would NOT put pam or any other non-stick cooking oil on your wheels. I can't believe a dealer would recommend that. If you want to keep dust off your wheels the best method has already been mentioned here. Wipe the wheels after driving with a dry microfiber cloth. If you want to make it easier to wipe off, Armorall makes a teflon based spray for wheels that I've used with success in the past. In general I wouldn't put anything on your wheels that you wouldn't put on your paint.

For my cars, I use Zaino products and the Armorall wheel protector only (I don't recommend their rubber "blackening" products though as it ends up thrown all over your paint).

Side note, I've used Hawk HPS pads on Corvettes for years and they do indeed have lower dust and great stopping power. Most good brake pads will dust though, that's just the nature of disk brakes.

#10 ·
try using some Gtechniq products for the wheels - called the C5 Wheel Armour. Highly recommendedI haven't used it myself but plan on getting some soon and applying it myself. Apparently the brake dust still shows but much much easier to wash off as it literally just rinses off with water without having to scrub for hours. I have heard fabulous things about their products including the C1 paint protection which you can apply yourself too. That's my recommendation. Also use the G1 Leather protectant to protect the leather from getting dirty and cracking easily. Highly recommended!! I use the G1 leather protectant and its brilliant!

#11 ·
The brake dust has made me crazy for some time, then I have to laugh at myself because I've been wanting to upgrade my wheels to a gun metal or black anyway, so I'm not sure why it bothers me - maybe because it's just dust and not permanent? Ha.
I wonder if these Power Stop pads are any better? They claim a low dust ceramic formula. Has any used any of these brands? Evoque Brakes : Range Rover Evoque Accessorie from Pure Evoque, Parts and Accessories for your Land Rover Range Rover Evoque I'm not quite ready, but am looking forward to the change. Just not sure what I'll try next go around.

#19 · (Edited)
The factory brake pads are fairly soft semi-metallics. Great stopping power but they wear out fast and they leave a lot of dust. If You switch to a good brand ceramics, you're gonna give up a little stopping power but your wheels are gonna stay a lot cleaner. If you're not engaged in high performance or off-road driving, you will probably be glad you made the switch. You'll be lucky to get 35,000 miles out of the stock pads. Ceramics will last longer also IMO.

#20 ·
#22 ·
Now you folks know why the graphite/shadow wheels are so nice! Whenever possible, I no longer settle for silver wheels. Braking ability is FAR more impoertant than dust to me, butblack, grey etc wheels solve that nuisance problem. Get the powder coated black by someone that really knows how to do it. Prep and coat each wheel immediately. Never prep one day and coat the next!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.