brake dust

brake dust

This is a discussion on brake dust within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I am not sure if this is normal but i have been seeing a lot of brake dust lately on my car. Is this normal ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: brake dust

Member #

brake dust

I am not sure if this is normal but i have been seeing a lot of brake dust lately on my car. Is this normal or are the Evoques using a different kind of brake pads?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Seems I get lots of brake dust on my rims too. Wish I could keep it off too.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    Talked to the LR mechanics about this and i was told that this is normal. The Evoque uses soft braking pads which causes more brake dust. There is no other option but to clean the tires more often and use brake dust cleaners to make it easier to wash off the dust. Unfortunately, my rims are Style 4 which were the standard - not a good choice as this style is difficult to clean.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSTFIDave View Post
    Seems I get lots of brake dust on my rims too. Wish I could keep it off too.
    I have never been a big fan of break dust, who is? There are replacement break pads out there that significantly reduce the dust if you were interested. I personally keep a micro fiber cloth in the garage and wipe down the wheels 1-2 times a week, no water or cleaner. The dust wipes right off. If the wheels get wet prior to having the opportunity to wipe them down, you may have to wipe them down with a damp cloth. If you wait too long the dust kind of bakes on there (2-3 weeks) it takes much more effort. I only spend a few minutes a week between washes taking care of this. If you take it through a car wash, you always have to wipe down the wheels. The wash always misses spots on the wheels.

Rob

Member #
    Brake dust does diminish some with wear. Got over 2K on both my Evoques and it is not nearly as bad as when new.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
    Brake dust does diminish some with wear. Got over 2K on both my Evoques and it is not nearly as bad as when new.
    That is good to hear but I sure still seem to get it and I have 2334 miles on mine. Not many miles seeing I got the Evoque mid January. The Harley I got mid December has 7356 miles on it.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    I am having the same issue with brake dust, it's a nightmare to keep the wheels clean. I asked my local dealer if he or his service shop ever heard of anyone using brake dust shields. Has anyone here ever tried this?

Member #

dust

As soon as I get time to look, I will find out whose calipers are being used and get a set of Hawk HPS pads. Way lest dust and great stopping power. I find the evoque's brakes to be extremely sensitive anyway.

One dealer told me to spray the wheels with pam and you can just hose off the dust. I haven't tried it yet.

Member #
    I would NOT put pam or any other non-stick cooking oil on your wheels. I can't believe a dealer would recommend that. If you want to keep dust off your wheels the best method has already been mentioned here. Wipe the wheels after driving with a dry microfiber cloth. If you want to make it easier to wipe off, Armorall makes a teflon based spray for wheels that I've used with success in the past. In general I wouldn't put anything on your wheels that you wouldn't put on your paint.

For my cars, I use Zaino products and the Armorall wheel protector only (I don't recommend their rubber "blackening" products though as it ends up thrown all over your paint).

Side note, I've used Hawk HPS pads on Corvettes for years and they do indeed have lower dust and great stopping power. Most good brake pads will dust though, that's just the nature of disk brakes.

Member #
    try using some Gtechniq products for the wheels - called the C5 Wheel Armour. Highly recommendedI haven't used it myself but plan on getting some soon and applying it myself. Apparently the brake dust still shows but much much easier to wash off as it literally just rinses off with water without having to scrub for hours. I have heard fabulous things about their products including the C1 paint protection which you can apply yourself too. That's my recommendation. Also use the G1 Leather protectant to protect the leather from getting dirty and cracking easily. Highly recommended!! I use the G1 leather protectant and its brilliant!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads