Feeling like I made a mistake

This is a discussion on Feeling like I made a mistake within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hello everyone, I'm a NOOB to RR. The wife and I just moved from an Audi Q5 to a 2017 Evoque. We narrowed it down ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Hello everyone, I'm a NOOB to RR. The wife and I just moved from an Audi Q5 to a 2017 Evoque. We narrowed it down to the Porsche Macan S & the Evoque... obviously pulled the trigger on the Evoque, but having some serious remorse.

First few weeks of ownership uncovered a tire issue (excessive noise) and a rattle in the passenger door that was horrific. Brought it in and the dealer replace two tires (with different tires, so that required another trip back after they ordered the correct ones) and the rattle was fixed by ordering a new mid-range speaker and refastening something on the inside of the passenger door they told me was loose from the factory.

Now the past several weeks have uncovered a sea of rattles. Listening to the stereo at a reasonable volume (by reasonable I mean you can still have a conversion with your passenger) causes several rattles all over with certain bass notes; to the point that it's kind of ridiculous. I also get random rattles (yes I did a forum search; most recent post was from 2016) from the rear of the car going over bumps or any imperfection in the road for that matter. Most people turn up the radio a bit to mask things like this (you see where I'm going here?) I have to carve out some time to diagnose all the issues, but really feel I shouldn't have too for this type of vehicle. Should I be concerned that I paid a fair amount for a 2017 Evoque and the quality IMO seems sub-par? I'm kinda wishing I had gone with the Macan now...

I've got a C63 Mercedes and I can crank that stereo with full bass and no rattles. Few creaks here and there, but the chassis is a little stiff in that car, so to be expected. Both Audi and BMW did not have issues like this. Love the styling of this car, but should I have stayed German? Tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel
    Last edited by Nickanna; 07-18-2017 at 12:34 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Did you play with the sound system settings, the rattle could be the sub woofer is way up to high , make adjustments as necessary

Member #
    Sorry to hear that you are having these issues, but I would agree that you may have made a mistake. I finally bought my 2016 Evoque after wanting it since I first saw one, and after only 11 months of ownership am now returning to JLRNA via Lemon Law. I felt like I was in a one-way love relationship -- I loved my car, but my feelings were not reciprocated. They are such beautiful vehicles; I really do wish they could get the quality on par with the styling! Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I just turned in my first 2015 evoque after two years (lease). and other than the sunglass holder that needed replacement, it was completely rattle free and I had no other issues. So, bought a CPO 2016 evoque after looking at all the other small SUV competitors. The Evoque is a unique vehicle. Nothing like it's styling, and the only other Small SUVs that have its off road abililty would be a Jeep or maybe Subaru - neither of which compare from a luxury/style/feel standpoint. If you are looking for more of a road and driving oriented small SUV, then the Macan cannot be beat- but it is quite a bit more expensive. If it were me, I'd look seriously at the F-pace (or new E-pace if you want smaller). Or the new Alpha Romeo Stelvio. The Q5 and X3 are possibly "better" vehicles, but in my eye- lack any uniqueness. I just couldn't fall in love with them. The X3 is in bad need of a re-design as it's about 7 years old. Still a nice vehicle tho'. All depends on what you're looking for. Higher volume vehicles- do tend to have better reliability.

I don't believe that your rattle issue is common. Guess it really all depends on how attached you are to the Land Rover image.

Member #
    Thanks for all the replies!

Mailmanmike - I did play with the sub settings and don't really want to go any lower (I like some depth to my music). It's too bad that I need to turn it so far down as it is.

DogMom5 - Sorry to hear that you had to deal with all that... I know every brand has it's issues; mass production or not. Hopefully your next car will serve you well.

Morey000 - Good to hear your story, thanks. The wife and I both love the styling and interior and agree it's unique . I also agree with you on the other vehicles, except the X3... never really liked that one;-) I'm pretty savvy and have worked on cars since I was old enough to drive, so when I get some time I'll go on a road test with my son and see if we can narrow down the areas that need to be fixed. It's just weird, some days it's fine and then out of the blue they start acting up.

All in all we love the car. I read some articles about "lack of power" and the Macan is so much better... I honestly feel the power from this 4cyl is adequate. My wife doesn't drive fast and I don't with her in the car... sometimes. If I want to go fast, I'll take out the AMG, LOL. I hear nothing but praise for the Macan too from friends and forums, but the RR is better looking IMO.

Again, thank you! I hope to work out the bugs and enjoy this for several years. I'll report back if able to solve em'.

Member #
    Was at the Porsche Audi dealership a couple months ago when deciding. tested the Q3 and Q5. Sat in the Macan - very nice. But since I wasn't wanting to go $60k+ for a car, the salesman recommended that I don't drive it, as he said it would make driving the Audi's like kissing your sister. I took his advice. So- I only know how the Macan feels from reading reviews. Don't really wanna' know what I'm missing or I might regret the Evoque.

Member #
    Can happen with all car's my friends 911 996 C4S had the scored cylinders known issue. Something to do with the move from Nikasil to Lokasil cylinder liners, new engine. My 320d piston rod broke and pierced the cylinder block. Not what you expect from a premium executive German car with 120000 miles on the clock. Had the turbo, alternator, battery and steering wheel sensor changed earlier this year. We specced up on X1 2.5d to around what a Evoque 2.0 TD HSE was costing. The X1 is as fast as you like and a good car but the Evoque has more style and luxury. The Macan dash looks a bit too busy and not keen on the looks...The only thing I don't like in the Evoque is the 9 speed AT wanting to keep the revs at 1400 rathan than around the 2k mark...
    Last edited by LandRoverEvo; 10-06-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Member #
    Wowsa. Not sure what your decision tree was on this choice. I️ actually have a 2012 Q5, 2017 Macan, and a 2012 Evoque.
    I️ love the Evoque (its my car) and other than having the steering wheel heater die, it’s been a dream to drive and own. I️ did buy the extended warranty though. So far no rattles that I️’ve noticed.

The Q5 is uber-reliable but doesn’t have the pizzazz of either the Macan or the Evoque.

The macan (my wife’s ride) is in a class of its own, but at $75-80k vs $45-50k for the Evoque they are completely different vehicles.

However in bad weather, I️ grab my Evoque keys every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Morning! Thanks again for all the replies! I've tracked one noise down myself. Just so others know, one was this dull rattle from the rear when going over bumps or choppy payment. This turned out to be the rear seats where they latch into the rear pillar. I dropped the rear seats and used two wraps of friction tape where the seat latches to the body; job done. I do have to visit the dealer to look at the driver/passenger window frames; this is the next point of major noise. Also recently noticed that the right rear taillight assembly is acquiring moisture, so dealer will have to address that at the same time.

All in all I like the car (and so does the wife... good thing since it's hers), I'm just disappointed in what seems to be needless issues on a car model that's been out since 2011. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Member #
    My 14 evoque has bad rattles too. Its been to the dealer many times usually resulting in nothing. They replaced the whole headliner and sun glass holder along with some seat belts but a few month later the sun glass rattle again. At this point I have learned the fix is having the music up.

The transfer case also died.

Besides that its a great truck. Really good in the snow. Really do love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads