SIM Card Replacement?

SIM Card Replacement?

This is a discussion on SIM Card Replacement? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; The 2017 HSE Dynamic (USA) uses cellular data for Navi traffic, Wi-Fi Hotspot, LR Remote, etc.. LR chose AT&T as the service provider and here ...

Member #

SIM Card Replacement?

The 2017 HSE Dynamic (USA) uses cellular data for Navi traffic, Wi-Fi Hotspot, LR Remote, etc.. LR chose AT&T as the service provider and here in the Western US Verizon greatly outperforms AT&T especially in semi-rural and rural areas. When my 3-month trail data plan was about to expire I contacted LR to ask if I could change to Verizon and was told I could not because the system utilizes a SIM card. Not sure what that means since Verizon also uses SIM cards! Anyway, since nothing critical requires it I let it lapse, but am now missing the traffic and remote start features, and donít like how limited the Navi becomes without cellular data.

Do any of you know whether I can replace the AT&T with a Verizon SIM card and service? And if so, how?

BTW, why would Land Rover who seems to pride itself on its off-road heritage select systems hardware that's so dependent on cellular data? Not sure how many cell towers dot the Serengeti, and there certainly arenít any in Death Valley where I spend a lot of off-road time in the Winter

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Interesting question. I think this is the first I've seen a SIM question on the forum. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the UK Evoque forum about SIM cards, and data plans. They seem to be able to choose whatever carrier and type of data plan the want. Maybe this is a question better asked of a Verizon representative. I would think you could install a SIM card from any carrier as long as you paid for the service.

Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by Rsquared; 11-02-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Member #
    I believe AT&T uses GSM, while Verizon uses CDMA. If the Evoque hardware is GSM only that could limit your options. T-Mobile is GSM, and if you don't plan to use much data check out Freedompop's data-only gsm sim card 200mb/month free. I think they use AT&T though. Also for modest data usage the rates at Ting are hard to beat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Interesting question. I think this is the first I've seen a SIM question on the forum. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the UK Evoque forum about SIM cards, and data plans. They seem to be able to choose whatever carrier and type of data plan the want. Maybe this is a question better asked of a Verizon representative. I would think you could install a SIM card from any carrier as long as you paid for the service. Let us know how you make out.
    Thank you for replying! I wasn't finding the SIM card because its location is too logical. Anyway, the Micro-SIM is located in the center console storage unit along with the USB and 12VDC ports. I guess the elusive nature of the LR dealer's response had me assuming it was hidden somewhere deep in the electronics, and by design inaccessible to the end-user. Maybe they’re elusiveness was to protect their AT&T royalty?

I tried installing the SIM from my Verizon iPhone but no joy. The rep at the local store agreed I should try it but warned that SIMs are often device specific so it might not work. He said even if the SIM swap doesn’t work, a correctly programed SIM might.

My next step is to find a Verizon rep who can answer the question, but today a local authorized dealer, the local company store, and the Verizon web site Tech Support did not come through.

Member #
    Thanks Florida Matt! As you can probably tell I am cell tech illiterate. Your GSM vs CDMA info explains why Verizon Tech Support wanted the Evoque receiver's Device ID. Any idea how I can pull up the device ID? Anyway, I'm not ready to give up yet.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    FlordiaMatt is correct about the differences between AT&T and Verizon. However, if you look at the link below for the Land Rover Incontrol User Guide, on the last page is says "SIM card obtained from any mobile phone provider."

One other document I looked at said the SIM card was to be a "data only" card.

These modern vehicles have out stripped the average owner's technical knowledge, as well as the dealers
    !
    Let us know how you make out.

https://www.landroverusa.com/Images/e-quick-start-guide_tcm293-87261.pdf

Last edited by Rsquared; 11-03-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Member #
    FlordiaMatt is correct about the differences between AT&T and Verizon. However, if you look at the link below for the Land Rover Incontrol User Guide, on the last page is says "SIM card obtained from any mobile phone provider." One other document I looked at said the SIM card was to be a "data only" card. These modern vehicles have out stripped the average owner's technical knowledge, as well as the dealers! Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks again! Your encouraging reply couldn't be better timed as I just received a discouraging callback from Verizon Tech Support saying that my receiver is probably AT&T specific and if so is incompatible with Verizon, but she admittedly said this with no specific knowledge of the LR hardware. Her reference is past experience with similar systems in other makes. I'll print the InControl users guide and take it with me to Verizon tomorrow. Report to follow.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
    "SIM card obtained from any mobile phone provider."
    Keep in mind that the manuals are written from the author's perspective. In the UK, Europe, and most of the world, "any mobile phone" is GSM.

Here's an excellent article explaining the details:
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

Member #
    Since I'm now pretty sure the Evoque is GSM-only, I'll expand on your options at this point. Since I don't have an Evoque (yet) I don't know what just renewing with AT&T would cost, but here are a couple low-cost options.

T-Mobile might be an option, but the coverage map for the Pacific Northwest looks far worse than AT&T's. You'd likely want to find a way to try them before committing. If T-Mobile works for you, I'll recommend Ting's service which for data only would cost $9/$16/$22 per month for 100mb/500mb/1gb. Note you should be able to simply see if T-mobile works at all by borrowing a sim card from a friend with a t-mobile phone. (If you don't know anyone with T-Mobile, that's a hint about coverage...)

For AT&T if you actually must have a data-only sim card, I'll suggest Freedompop. You can get 200mb/month free (albeit after a bit of effort cancelling the "free trial"), or pay $13/$20/$27 for 1gb/2gb/3gb.

Ads