Buyer's Remorse, Consolation Sought!

This is a discussion on Buyer's Remorse, Consolation Sought! within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; Hello Everyone, So I recently closed on purchasing an Evoque in Prestige trim with tan interior/style 7 wheels. The main purpose was to trade my ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Buyer's Remorse, Consolation Sought!

Member #

Hello Everyone,

So I recently closed on purchasing an Evoque in Prestige trim with tan interior/style 7 wheels. The main purpose was to trade my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 before it declined further in value and to surprise her for her upcoming 40th birthday. I preordered in March 2012 and it arrived early in May, a whole two weeks before it was promised in June. So my ultimate goal was reached.

However, I have alot of past experience in negotiating purchases for new/used cars but i am not totally satisfied as the dealer wouldn't budge more than $1000 off the MSRP. I am used to at least getting the purchase price down a few thousand dollars. I even wanted the dealer to take off the style 7 wheels which added $2000 on the sticker. I'd like to poll the other Evoque owners here if my expectations were too high, got about what was right, or worse, got ripped off.

Other than that, the dealership personnel has been great and they are cooperating with my surprise gift. In the meantime, I just can't shake off this feeling that I could have gotten better with the purchase price or I've been had by them. Thanks for any comments and advice!

-Jon H

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    I think with the very high demand, and the wait times to get and Evoque you will be hard pressed to get much more than 1K off MSRP. That sounds like more off than many have got, they do not really have to deal when people are waiting in line to get them.

As for the wheels, I thought you ordered the vehicle? If you ordered, why order the optional wheels if you did not want them?

I can see why the dealer would not want to take the wheels off. There is not got to be a big market for them to be able to sell them.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #
    F-Dave,

Sorry for not being clearer earlier. Basically, I placed a reservation on one of the vehicles of a group which was already being shipped to the dealer. It's possible that it may have been ordered by someone else who changed their mind later. My sales rep stated that the wheels came with the vehicle as such from the manufacturer, however.

Thanks for your insight and viewpoint as well. I appreciate that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    You got $1K off MSRP on a vehicle that is backordered for MONTHS and think you got screwed? I'm in the Bay Area and there is NO inventory. I paid sticker along with pretty much everyone in California. In fact in the L.A area people are paying over MSRP.

Member #
    Yea I have to agree with rossini. I ordered mine back in March and delivery is due July. I paid sticker. I tried to bargain but basically he was straight with me, there's no need for the dealership to drop the price when people are lining up out the door to buy this car. If I don't buy it, the guy behind me will so why should the dealer lower the price. Sucks for us but at the same time, makes sense. Supply and Demand my friend. Even though the car was already ordered and possibly someone changed their mind, someone would have bought it because it's in stock and available right away. You getting $1k off the sticker is pretty lucky.

Member #
    Interesting discussion. Don't believe the hype. I got $3,000 off sticker on my purchase. In Southern California, there is a HUGE inventory of these vehicles, stretching from Los Angeles to San Diego. Additionally, Texas and Michigan have large pools available. If you want one, I recommend calling around. It doesn't always help to go through your local dealer - some of the dealers further away from me wouldn't trade with my local dealer because there wasn't anything they wanted. However, they would work with me directly, evening offering free shipping. I ultimately ended up purchasing from my dealer - everyone wants to move stock that they already have in-house. Call around before agreeing to special order one. I've seen just about every combination out there.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by roverdog View Post
    Interesting discussion. Don't believe the hype. I got $3,000 off sticker on my purchase. In Southern California, there is a HUGE inventory of these vehicles, stretching from Los Angeles to San Diego. Additionally, Texas and Michigan have large pools available. If you want one, I recommend calling around. It doesn't always help to go through your local dealer - some of the dealers further away from me wouldn't trade with my local dealer because there wasn't anything they wanted. However, they would work with me directly, evening offering free shipping. I ultimately ended up purchasing from my dealer - everyone wants to move stock that they already have in-house. Call around before agreeing to special order one. I've seen just about every combination out there.
    Just out of curiosity, when did you buy in SoCal and get $3K off? I know that in February people were paying over sticker on SoCal but obviously if they got a flood of deliveries between then and May things could have quickly changed. In NorCal, specifically the San Francisco and Marin dealerships they have had *NO* inventory aside from the one vehicle they have to keep on lot for test drives up until about a few weeks ago where things began picking up.

Member #
    Just got the Evoque last week, but I've been working with them since February trying to find the color I wanted. They knew I was desperate to get one, but I made it clear I wasn't going to buy it at sticker. I know the SF dealership has no inventory, but urban dealerships typically don't stock much anyway because of space. Lamborghini San Francisco has no selection, for example, compared to the dealership in Los Gatos. If there's more than 2-3 Evoques on the lot, there's a good chance you can negotiate. The Mission Viejo chain (several dealerships) has about 45 Evoques among them. The dealers want you to think these cars are in high demand. They are not.

Member #
    I bought in Jan, delivery Early May, and got $1900 off with a lot of back and forth. I considered myself very lucky. I checked the "Edmund's True Market Value" and it was right at sticker when I bought it. It has since crept down slowly. I think $1000 is not bad- you are ahead of the curve. I doubt they're in the back room laughing about how they "screwed you" if that's what you're thinking. I agree- supply and demand. But don't think they are not riding the wave as high as they can. When I told my dealer what I wanted to pay, they laughed and said they are getting $4000 over sticker. Until I told them about a deal I already had gotten from another dealer. Guess what- they magically were willing to match it. So even if they are able to get some other sucker to pay more, they will probably be willing to deal if it means one more sale. It just means you have to be firm and realize you can only push so hard. It's not a "dime a dozen" car, and they do have an edge to some degree!

I too am perplexed by the wheel thing....Style 7's are $2500, so sounds like you got a killer deal on those unless I am missing something- $2000 is far below invoice for them. Also, I know from past experience you cannot change wheels after the car goes to build, so I am confused how that would work- they refused to change my car's wheels when I requested, and that was 2 months before I got it!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by Evocurious; 05-31-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Member #
    It may be because I wanted red. The one I found looks like a custom build for someone else. It had the Style 7's and several less common options like climate control and illuminated tread plates. It had been on the lot for 2 weeks. Land Rover typically sells in white and black, so I know they wanted to clear it.

$1900 off is great for a deal back in January. In the future, though, when you order the car, agree to put a deposit down, but don't agree to a price until it comes in. Say that you're looking at other cars and will take the order if you find nothing else by then. I put $5,000 down that demonstrated intent, but I never committed to a car or price until I found exactly the one I wanted. They can't legally hold the deposit if you go somewhere else, but it lets them know you are serious while still giving you room to negotiate. You are never obligated to settle on a price. However, once you start down that path, they are more than happy to lock you in. If a custom order takes in 3-4 months, though, I wouldn't do it. They know they can only get a premium from someone who just needs to have it "now." Purchasing "now" for something that takes 3-4 months means you should wait 3-4 months. Production cars are NEVER low on supply except in the first few weeks at launch. Figure out what's more important for you.

According to TrueCar, they're making anywhere from $3000 to $5000, depending on the configuration. There are no dealer incentives, so they're getting by on the deal alone. But there are other costs to help you negotiate - carrying cost. They're paying interest on financing to keep that car in inventory. So, if you can get something that's been on the lot, they're more willing to negotiate. Goes for any car dealer - don't let the premium intimidate you. Tell them you're serious and intend to purchase the car that day. If they don't want to deal, walk out. Then go back again. Demonstrate great intent, but inflexibility on price.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads