Evoque Brake Upgrade - BBK Brembo, Stoptech, Wilwood?

This is a discussion on Evoque Brake Upgrade - BBK Brembo, Stoptech, Wilwood? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; I didn't see any well-populated threads devoted to this upgrade. Is the only kit tailored to the Evoque, still the Brembo GT kit? With the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

I didn't see any well-populated threads devoted to this upgrade. Is the only kit tailored to the Evoque, still the Brembo GT kit? With the muscled fenders and relatively huge wheel sizes that this car supports, it screams brake upgrade to me. While the GT kit is nice, it's quite a plunge on a lower tier RR platform. Are there any affordable ways to fill up all that dead space between the tiny OE rotors and 19+" wheels? The big brothers get nice binders as an option. (As does the Cayenne, Macan, Q5/7, etc). Seems like this car is sexy enough to justify a reasonable upgrade here. I've seen a few other upgrades done, but I think they are one-off systems. Before I put myself to work, I want to make sure I'm considering all available options.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    If you're only looking to fill the space, try the MGP caliper covers.

https://www.calipercovers.com/?gclid...xoCX3cQAvD_BwE

I just installed them on my '13. They are just aluminum covers that clip over the stock calipers. You can get them in just about any color and have any custom engraving done on them too. The other nice thing is they are covers, so they actually deflect the brake dust keeping the wheels cleaner and installation is only a couple minutes per wheel, no down time swapping whole calipers. Couple them with Ceramic based pads and you may actually like the results. So far so good for me. You can sort of see them below - the ones I got are in black.

Name:  IMG_0414.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  3.93 MB
    Last edited by ElVino; 04-23-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Everything I do prospers

It feels good to be lost in the right direction

Member #
    That rig looks good with the Targas on it. 20x8.5 ET40? The caliper covers are a nice touch as well. I'm looking for something with some diameter that'll knock down the big open annular ring between the wheel barrel and the rotor OD. While the car won't necessarily be driven hard, there's something baller about brake upgrades. Just looks strong to me, the same way tacking on extra rubber does in most cases. I do, however, appreciate the response.

Since my post, I did map out a BBK plan, under the assumption that the silence in this thread confirms the GT kit as our only option (if it even still is one). The current issue is whether or not I can get the parking brake system to properly actuate a Tesla unit so that I run a standard double-pane rear rotor and caliper to suit. (The single pane stuff seems to top out at ~330mm diameter). This probably won't go anywhere, but I like the mental engineering at the moment. This will be the 3rd car I've put a custom setup on, and first that includes an electronic parking brake. (<< that alone is enticing to me).

Name:  Tesla-Model-S-Brakes.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  59.8 KB

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    [QUOTE=CG1;23850]That rig looks good with the Targas on it. 20x8.5 ET40? The caliper covers are a nice touch as well. I'm looking for something with some diameter that'll knock down the big open annular ring between the wheel barrel and the rotor OD. While the car won't necessarily be driven hard, there's something baller about brake upgrades. Just looks strong to me, the same way tacking on extra rubber does in most cases. I do, however, appreciate the response.

Since my post, I did map out a BBK plan, under the assumption that the silence in this thread confirms the GT kit as our only option (if it even still is one). The current issue is whether or not I can get the parking brake system to properly actuate a Tesla unit so that I run a standard double-pane rear rotor and caliper to suit. (The single pane stuff seems to top out at ~330mm diameter). This probably won't go anywhere, but I like the mental engineering at the moment. This will be the 3rd car I've put a custom setup on, and first that includes an electronic parking brake. (<< that alone is enticing to me).

Name:  Tesla-Model-S-Brakes.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  59.8 KB

Yes 20x8.5 TARGA M131's with slightly oversized rubber. I didn't think I'd like the caliper covers but they're growing on me. Ease of installation and if they keep the wheels cleaner longer I'm all for it.

Sounds to me like you're going hardcore! If I remember correctly, the dealership told me when they changed my pads they had to release the parking brake thru the computer? So even if I wanted to swap my pads out I don't think I would have had the equipment to do it. I'm so beyond doing anything extensive with vehicles now anyways. Don't have the space, tools, time, or even desire but I used to.

Good luck!
    Everything I do prospers

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVino View Post
    Yes 20x8.5 TARGA M131's with slightly oversized rubber. I didn't think I'd like the caliper covers but they're growing on me. Ease of installation and if they keep the wheels cleaner longer I'm all for it.

Sounds to me like you're going hardcore! If I remember correctly, the dealership told me when they changed my pads they had to release the parking brake thru the computer? So even if I wanted to swap my pads out I don't think I would have had the equipment to do it. I'm so beyond doing anything extensive with vehicles now anyways. Don't have the space, tools, time, or even desire but I used to.

Good luck!
    Yeah, the black covers are a nice way to finish the otherwise unsightly cast bit. As for my plan, I'm only THINKING of going hardcore at the moment. And you're right about all the peripherals needed to do custom work. Or at least needed to do it somewhat well. I've spent the last few years oscillating between car projects and shop projects for this reason. With each new car project I tackle, I become aware of how to better equip myself for the next time. Fortunately, I have a few friends who enjoy feeding my hobby, so it's a bit more justifiable. At any rate, I think it's safe to say the only current way to get baller binders on this platform is to DIY it, so now it's just a matter of if, what, when, and how. As for the E-brake, I have a suspicion that all the sensing is done in the CPU, and that swapping the DC motor (aka - using another e-caliper) isn't going to disable the function completely. I was under a new Mini Countryman this weekend, which uses the BMW electric parking brake system. That circuit appeared to be only two wires, so at least for that system, it would seem that there's no position feedback going on. Maybe it uses current sensing to determine the clamping force (aka - stalled motor), and a timed release in the other direction? Though, admittedly, that seems a bit simple for today's cars that have diagnostics galore.

If this ever grows legs I'll stop in and post an update.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CG1 View Post
    Yeah, the black covers are a nice way to finish the otherwise unsightly cast bit. As for my plan, I'm only THINKING of going hardcore at the moment. And you're right about all the peripherals needed to do custom work. Or at least needed to do it somewhat well. I've spent the last few years oscillating between car projects and shop projects for this reason. With each new car project I tackle, I become aware of how to better equip myself for the next time. Fortunately, I have a few friends who enjoy feeding my hobby, so it's a bit more justifiable. At any rate, I think it's safe to say the only current way to get baller binders on this platform is to DIY it, so now it's just a matter of if, what, when, and how. As for the E-brake, I have a suspicion that all the sensing is done in the CPU, and that swapping the DC motor (aka - using another e-caliper) isn't going to disable the function completely. I was under a new Mini Countryman this weekend, which uses the BMW electric parking brake system. That circuit appeared to be only two wires, so at least for that system, it would seem that there's no position feedback going on. Maybe it uses current sensing to determine the clamping force (aka - stalled motor), and a timed release in the other direction? Though, admittedly, that seems a bit simple for today's cars that have diagnostics galore.

If this ever grows legs I'll stop in and post an update.

I think you're right. It's even tied to the gear it's in, and if you apply the gas (at least for the rover and even VW). Case in point, I'm in my driveway on a hill put it in reverse or drive, I honestly don't think the brakes release (even after you let off the brake pedal) until you ease on the gas so it doesn't roll. There is a parking brake lever as well but I think there is a secondary built in parking brake algorithm that's tied in to all this stuff (gear, throttle position, etc). And all this needs to be bypassed just to release the brake so you can change the damn pads. But good for anti theft? Depends on how good the hacker is I suppose.
    Everything I do prospers

Member #
    Looks like AP furnishes a kit with the their standard and Radical type calipers. Still no rear kit to match...

https://www.apracing.com/product_det...8522z1002.aspx

Member #
    I did spend some time looking at brakes for my whip but not so far as an entire kit with beefed up calipers. Just rotors and pads. When its time for new pads I will most likely put a nice rotor on too and leave the stock calipers with the covers. Had a CEL come on but it went out. Codes revealed air/fuel ratio was off. Had injectors cleaned, mass airflow sensor done and filters to the tume of just over a grand. Welcome to RR!
    Everything I do prospers

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVino View Post
    I did spend some time looking at brakes for my whip but not so far as an entire kit with beefed up calipers. Just rotors and pads. When its time for new pads I will most likely put a nice rotor on too and leave the stock calipers with the covers. Had a CEL come on but it went out. Codes revealed air/fuel ratio was off. Had injectors cleaned, mass airflow sensor done and filters to the tume of just over a grand. Welcome to RR!
    Yeah, the service estimate from JLR for new stopping surfaces was absurd. Therein lied the impetus for searching out upgrades. I'm close to having this all mapped out, but oddly still haven't taken the time to get the Tesla rear e-brakes to play nicely. It wont be a deal breaker if they don't, but it'll be a whole lot of sex if they do.

So .. I should make doubles of everything?
    Last edited by CG1; 06-11-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CG1 View Post
    I'm close to having this all mapped out, but oddly still haven't taken the time to get the Tesla rear e-brakes to play nicely. It wont be a deal breaker if they don't, but it'll be a whole lot of sex if they do.
    Result: Success

This might actually happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads