Rail Dust - Who's got it?

This is a discussion on Rail Dust - Who's got it? within the Evoque Forum forums, part of the Evoque Discussions category; The first time I washed my new Evoque a few weeks ago I was disappointed to find "rail dust" on it in a number of ...

Member #

The first time I washed my new Evoque a few weeks ago I was disappointed to find "rail dust" on it in a number of places front to end. Apparently this is a trademark of Land Rover products per some forum reading I did elsewhere and I'm sure dealerships everywhere know how to take care of it.

It is almost eerie to see the first picture here because that's what my front lettering area looks like but with more rust dots:

Range Rover Evoque Dynamic

The Iron Off - IronX / FK SIRR

My dealership has my baby right now and they're being very nice about it. I'm somewhat kicking myself because I went through a much more severe case of rail dust on my Ford F250 back in 2005 and just didn't even think to look the Evoque over at that level of detail before taking possession. I can't really see this without good magnified reading glasses with my eyes the way they are these days so I didn't notice it and was soooo anxious to drive away that day!

At first I thought the black spots on my hood (bonnet) were tree sap spots but now I think not. I took a look at one of the new Evoques on the lot yesterday and it has some of the rust and black spots on it too which I pointed out to their service manager. They really are being nice and helpful and I suspect a little bit embarrassed about letting it getting out this way.

My advice to new buyers is to inspect inspect inspect and get them to clean it up before taking possession.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #

My pictures.....

The delicate areas around the lettering and the small surfaces next to the headlights and brake lights have the most noticable spots. I will say a digital camera makes it look way worse than it does just looking at it in person. Again, my dealership is being great. I figure if stuff like this happens over time such as with brake pad wear debris that I'll be responsible to keep that clean and I hear clay bar techniques are good, but I'm an amateur and don't want to do anything wrong of course.

The first two pictures go together and the last picture is on the hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Member #
    I have not noticed that on mine. I even had the letters off both front and rear so I looked real close when removing them and installing black letters. If you know how to use it clay bar works wonders. I leave that to the pro's.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I can't find the copy of the old Ford service bulletin I have from 2005, but I believe they prescribed an acid wash solution, clay bar debris pickup, and followed by a neutralizer. They also prescribed measuring paint thickness with one of those meters you can buy and if the paint got too thin they would have to repaint the affected areas. I guess we never got too thin because they never repainted my truck's hood.

I was disappointed to see the little tell tale orange spots on the new car on the dealer's lot yesterday. Some of it was worse than mine. The nature of the iron particulate I experienced on my F250 was you could rub it clean but in about two weeks it would be leaching rust out in that little halo pattern in the white paint.

Seeing those pictures of the acid washing on the Evoque in one of those articles made sense finally, but I'm not gonna do that myself!

Here are my two rail dust victims..... I never would have expected them to have this in common. However, I was originally dead-set on buying a 4dr white prestige with the tan interior so it would look like a mini Ford King Ranch like my truck. Twins like Schwarzenegger and Devito. At 6'5" and a bit too wide it was just easier to get in and out of the 2dr coupe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Well I see you matched your truck and car.

I matched my car to my new bike. Look at my avitar, a white gold pearl and black CVO roadglide, 2012. White on top, black down low. My evoque is just the oposite.

2012 Dynamic 5 door, Fuji White and Santorini black top, Lunar interior Style 6 sparkle rims, Climate comfort, adaptive dynamic, Sat and HD radio
    2012 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLTRXSE Harley Davidson Roadglide White Gold Pearl and Starfire Black
    2013 Custom Vehicle Operations, FLHRSE5 Harley Davidson Road King an ultra-premium Diamond Dust, Obsidian and Palladium paint scheme, 110th Anniversary Edition.

Member #

Update

So today is day 8 without my baby. I'm going through some serious withdrawl symptoms. Where's the "weeping" emoticon? I need a turbocharged fix!

The good news is I'm led to believe my providing them the above info (links) on prior professional cleaning of a number of their cars might have helped make things click and when the LR rep visited/inspected my car this week and they agreed that the acid wash was the way to go.

Member #
    I feel like I had a little rust spot I seen the other day - wouldn't that have eaten through the paint? I use to be into detailing a lot more and really appreciate the post. I might need to look into this ASAP!

Ads